Whirlpool arm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mprossman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi gang,

I know this has probably been discussed 1 mil times, but I'm feeling lazy and don't want to weed through the forum.

I have a new Blichmann 20 gallon pot for my boil kettle and I want to install a whirlpool arm. Can any of you tell me the best positioning for it? I still want to be able to make 5 gallon batches, but obviously want to also do 15 at times. It's really a height question. Do I go with the top of the pot or where the 5 gallon mark would be? Sorry, the whirlpool and pump setup is new for me. As always, thanks for the help.

Marty

Mines coming in from the top with a cam lock fitting on the outside of the keggle. I put it at the top and made the arm so I can also add liquid measurement markings on it. Also the placent is high enough where I don't need to add a ball valve. The actual arm goes down to about the 4 gallon mark, I do 10 gallon batches. If you are doing 5 gallons id put it at about the 3 gallon mark, should still be great for bigger batches as well. Cheers..

image.jpg

Thanks poislb! That helps. For some reason I was concerned the pump wouldn't be strong enough to push fluid at the bottom. I have never used a pump before. I'm really looking forward to it!

Cheers!

Whirlpool Arm.jpg

That should work just fine, my only suggestion would be to bend the tube so it follows the curvature of your vessel more. You may get an angle effect where it kinda bounces of the vessel.. Not sure how else to explain it. Give it a shot and see what happens with regular water, this way you can see what's going on and your direction of travel. Looks like you should be golden though.

Back