whirlpool adapter to welded fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdscole

Reaction score
I have a kettle with three welded 1/2" npt fittings. One is the out, one is the thermometer and the last one was capped.

For christmas, I received a pump and wanted to give it a go for whirlpooling during cooling with an immersion cooler. So I installed a ball valve and barb fitting.

I assumed that the inside of the kettle was threaded like the outside. nope. The threads are only tapped from the outside. I was hoping to simply install a 90° fitting inside the kettle to get the swirl action going.

That's not happening.

Anyone know of a workaround that does not involve cutting another hole in the kettle for a weldless fitting?

I use my "thermometer" half-port for whirlpooling. It's about half way up the 8 gallon kettle.

The outside has a 1/2" nipple, a 1/2" 3-piece valve and a male camlock. On the inside, because there is no thread going all the way through, I use a #2 drilled rubber stopper with a (flared) 90° 5/16" OD "whirlpool arm" through it. The arm remains inside the stopper due to the flare that's on the inside and the rubber stopper remains where it is due to a tight fit and friction on the threads.
That flared 90° whirlpool arm is actually a "racking arm" from an older 7 gallon Blichmann conical I rarely use.

I get a nice whirlpool-like recirculation, but it can be probably better with a more dedicated, appropriately shaped 5/16" or 3/8" tube with a tapered nozzle at the end. I guess I need to keep using the rubber stopper with that half-port.

I should really get a real whirlpool arm and start using the conical again. But plastic brew buckets are so easy...

So for you, think about using a drilled rubber stopper on the inside of the half port, with some sort of angled tube in it. It may need a flare to prevent it from being pushed out the stopper, although it may hold on friction alone. I should try that.

I think I found a solution: https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/spincyclereverse.htm
SpinCycleREVERSE-2T.jpg

Back