whirlfloc! yes or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
im brewing an ipa, i want it to stay nice and cloudy so should i leave out the whirlfloc? does the whirlfloc add anything else to the beer besides clearing it up?

Schol-R-LEA

"Making a mind work backwards, one post at a time."

:D

With your advice, I agree. :mug:

Whirlfoc coagulates proteins and there is no reason not to use it.

Cloudy on purpose beers are usually from the yeast strain and dryhopping.

The cloudiness of an IPA is from the dryhopping. The beta oils will cloud the beer and add flavour and aroma. Average dryhop rate for an AIPA would be 150 grams for 40 liters. So about 2.5 to 3 oz of hops for 5 gallons.

Why would you want an IPA to be cloudy? They're usually clear with some hop haze from dry hopping. I like to use Fivestar Super Moss myself. Works great.

Why would you want an IPA to be cloudy? They're usually clear with some hop haze from dry hopping. I like to use Fivestar Super Moss myself. Works great.

It's all the rage in the PNW. Heady Topper, although not from the PNW is very cloudy. I personally think a lot of brewers are just being lazy, calling their beer "unfiltered" and cashing on the fact they don't have to cold crash/filter while still selling something that the "trend chasers" will buy.

It's all the rage in the PNW. Heady Topper, although not from the PNW is very cloudy. I personally think a lot of brewers are just being lazy, calling their beer "unfiltered" and cashing on the fact they don't have to cold crash/filter while still selling something that the "trend chasers" will buy.

I think you are incorrect in your assumptions regarding what makes the beers "cloudy". Most of the haze is hop haze. Some protien haze may be in there but i very much doubt its due to a concious desision to intentionally add protien haze.

i know but i much prefer cloudy beers, think it was because my first craft beer was a cloudy erdinger which changed my world ever since then iv always prefar cloudy beers, i love that bright hue they usually have looks delicious

I think you are incorrect in your assumptions regarding what makes the beers "cloudy". Most of the haze is hop haze. Some protien haze may be in there but i very much doubt its due to a concious desision to intentionally add protien haze.

I'm not in your league Denny, but in the case of the beers I've seen it's exactly what you said, hop debris and yeast. I never meant to insinuate it was protein haze. I was using and assuming the OP was using cloudy as a general term not specifically citing haze. Many brewers in OR (where I spend a lot of time) are electing not to filter or centrifuge their beers and using less flocculant yeast strains. This is just my anecdotal observation based on what I've seen and a couple conversations with some commercial brewers up there.

Edit: upon rethinking, I can see how a thread about whirlfloc and my post made you think I was talking about protein haze. I think I just got a little OT maybe. :mug:

Edit: upon rethinking, I can see how a thread about whirlfloc and my post made you think I was talking about protein haze. I think I just got a little OT maybe. :mug:

No worries. I know a number of brewpubs and breweries that don't filter all there beers. Local brewpub here crashes to -2c for 3 weeks before sending to serving tanks. The beer is still fairly clear except for the dryhopped Pale ale. No IPA at that pub unfortunately since the locals in Kelowna no wine but drink bud. Sad really. They have 4 light lagers and only 3 other styles and it drives the brewer nuts. (He brews on contract for the pub). No IPA and no Stout. Makes me cry.

All kettle finings do is prevent chill haze. Chill haze is a phenomenon where beer is that is clear when warm becomes cloudy when chilled. It is caused by having too much protein in suspension. Kettle finings reduce chill haze by coagulating protein in the kettle.

Cloudy commercial beers are cloudy because they are not filtered. While cloudiness can be caused by particulate matter and hop oils, most of the really cloudy beers are cloudy because they were fermented with powdery yeast strains.

With that said, one wants to use kettle finings. Suspended protein impacts beer stability.

Back