Whirlfloc and carrageenan risk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But since it is used to settle out excess dissolved proteins in the wort, I don't think much of it stays in the beer come time to package. It mostly forces settling.

I guess it depends on whether you are a conspiracy theorist or not. The FDA, USDA, and WHO says it's safe, Andrew Weil, M.D., says it might not be.

I'm cool with trusting the FDA, USDA, and WHO, myself. You can't pay taxes if you're dead.

Uniondrive is also correct. When you put whirlfloc/irish moss in a beer, it is coagulating proteins and pulling them into the trub layer, and you are then racking off the trub layer, so the whirlfloc isn't in the beer, it's left in the trub layer.

Good points. I guess mashing in plastic containers probably isn't good either. Then again, some crazy people say beer isn't good for you in general. Hell even the hops some of us use, probably have pesticide on them. I think im taking off my tin foil hat now.

Good points. I guess mashing in plastic containers probably isn't good either. Then again, some crazy people say beer isn't good for you in general. Hell even the hops some of us use, probably have pesticide on them. I think im taking off my tin foil hat now.

Finally. ... now we can find you! :D

I never quite understood the fear of some of these things related to brewing "may" cause cancer. Im pretty sure your doing way more damage to your liver with the Alcohol ;)

Pack enough of anything into a rat and it's likely to cause cancer.

Makes you wonder what studies have been done to determine why rats are so susceptible to cancer.;)

I've got this. Activating mind control ray on him now. He'll be brewing me beer and delivering to my doorstep in no time :mug:

Rev.

No! This is BS..... this guy was mine and it is my turn to get some beer!:drunk:

Carrageenan is basically seaweed. Whirfloc and Irish Moss are mostly carrageenan.

If you want to avoid carrageenan, you will have a pretty restrictive diet; almost everything you buy from the supermarket has carrageenan in it.

How do I know? My daughter is alergic to it, and it is extremly difficult to find products without it. I think it us used as a thickening agent.

Fortunatly she doesn't like beer, so I can use it. I tend not to use it in beers I think there is a slight possibility she might like to try.

I just came across the same article. I don't use any clearing agents in my brew. My wife bieng an organic nut, I opt to "try" not to add anything extra. I started reading about Irish moss, and found that article. I also looked up whirfloc, to find that it contains the same irish moss/Carrageenan. Enough questions to keep me from using it. :)
As for the FDA? They say High Fructose Corn syrup is safe. Yet my daughter has major reactions to it. Research that sometime, she is NOT alone. Also look in the grocery store for company's labeling their food "No High Fructose Corn Syrup". Prett Eye opening. If it's so safe, why do companys need to label food without it. ??

Carrageenan is used in lab rats to cause inflammation in order to test anti inflammatory drugs. Any thing concentrated is bad. Irish moss has some in it, but it's in its natural state. The fda will say anything is safe as long as they're getting paid well enough to do so. I'm considering donning the tin foil cap, but it could screw up my hair

Irish moss has some in it, but it's in its natural state.

Carrageenan is carrageenan, there is no processing. Carrageenan is a natural product. ........ and, Irish Moss is just another name for carrageenan. Irish Moss doesn't contain carrageenan, it is carrageenan.

I just came across the same article. I don't use any clearing agents in my brew. My wife bieng an organic nut, I opt to "try" not to add anything extra. I started reading about Irish moss, and found that article. I also looked up whirfloc, to find that it contains the same irish moss/Carrageenan. Enough questions to keep me from using it. :)

As for the FDA? They say High Fructose Corn syrup is safe. Yet my daughter has major reactions to it. Research that sometime, she is NOT alone. Also look in the grocery store for company's labeling their food "No High Fructose Corn Syrup". Prett Eye opening. If it's so safe, why do companys need to label food without it. ??

Ok so she's an organic nut, she should be on board with Irish moss. It's unprocessed seaweed flakes. Health food stores will even sell this stuff directly marketed to health food nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You're right, I looked into it a bit further. I've had the same bottle of Irish moss for 15 years, used it once it's still chilling there. Why?hell I don't know, I'm tossing it right now. Why though really, who cares how clear your beer is as long as it tastes good.

Also look in the grocery store for company's labeling their food "No High Fructose Corn Syrup". Prett Eye opening. If it's so safe, why do companys need to label food without it. ??

Companies label their products with anything that they think will help drive sales.

I'm not saying one way or the other on the safety of HFCS, just answering your question. It's all marketing.

Everything that is in the food container has to be labeled because there are people who do have food allergies. Sometimes it is difficult when you have an allergy to find food without that ingredient and sometimes people have an irrational fear of some food additives even though it is proven safe for all except for those with that allergy, much of that fear being driven by some media fear mongering. If you can drive an increased sales number by advertising what you food does not have, it makes sense to put that on the label.

Freak people out by beading you product with " contains no radioactive isotopes" and then watch everyone scramble

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Damn it here I thought this whole time that drinking beer had no negative health effects. Thanks for ruining my day. Now I need a beer.

I'm glad stuff like that is only know to cause cancer in the state of California.
All the sudden Iowa's looking pretty sweet

Ethanol is a poison that your body tries to rid itself of when ingested...Unfortunately it also helps me dance and you get buzzed. Hell, the char on your grilled meats contain carcinogens, but it sure does taste good. Basically, everything is bad for you. In order to live a longer and more boring life, you need to cross out weight training and only do crossfit, eat tofu and soy products only, get rid of red meat, and reduce all alcohol intake.:tank:

IDK, it's only been in use since the 1400's, I think I'll take my chances for the time being.

Gelatinous extracts of the Chondrus crispus (Irish Moss) seaweed have been used as food additives since approximately the 1400s. Carrageenan is a vegetarian and vegan alternative to gelatin in some applications, although it cannot replace gelatin in confectionery such as jelly beans.

Back