Whirfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Damn, i sure did get a lot of trub in the fermenter....think i must have lost a gallan of beer to it! not sure if i'll just have to brew 11 gallon batches, or stop using whirfloc.....

Trub happens :) I have my recipes tuned to get 11 gallons into fermentation because I usually lose a half gallon in each carboy to yeast, trub and dry hoppage debris, and I really like to end up with a perfect 5 gallons in each keg for efficiency sake.

This isn't all that simple - my neipas suck up a lot of kettle wort from wp additions and the fermenter beer from massive dry hopping. And Beersmith has no provision for wort loss to hops (!) so I had to run into those losses a couple of times and adjust my recipes accordingly.

The beers that naturally get closest to the kegged volume target are wicked simple lightly hopped brews like kolsches and cream ales, the ones that need major adjustments are the neipas with 22-24 ounces for the 10 gallon batch. That's a lot of wort sponge right there ;)

Cheers!

Trub happens :) I have my recipes tuned to get 11 gallons into fermentation

normally i just get yeast sediment at the bottom of my fermenter, and scoop it out and throw it in the fridge for next batch.....i was looking at this good 3-4"'s in there this time thinking...."hmmm, well i got a half pack of dry nottingham, guess it's time to make a starter..." lol, i've been pitching this for about a year now anyway.....

Back