Which Yeast compares??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveVanO

Reaction score
I have a recipe:Apple Cherry Mead (1gallon batch)
3/4g Apple Juice
1 can apple cherry Concentrate
1lb clover honey
1/3c brown sugar
1 clove
1/2 cinnamon stick
Nutrient & Energizer
Yeast: (71b-1122)

I dont have any 1122 yeast, and dont feel like buying more.
On hand i have D47, 1118, 1116, and Montrachet. Which yeast would compare best to 1122 and work well with this recipe. I was thinking 1118 might be. But just seeing what opinions do you have.
Cheers :mug:

I would opt for 1116, simply because it has been a great yeast for various mead batches I have made. 71B would be a great choice, if you had it.

I would opt for 1116, simply because it has been a great yeast for various mead batches I have made. 71B would be a great choice, if you had it.
+1.

EC-1118 would blow most of the aromatics straight out the airlock etc.

I'd also suggest only using1/3 to 1/2 the fruit elements in primary and add the rest into secondary.....

I'm with saramc on the yeast, of all you have the 1116 will be the closest to the 1122, 1118 is too aggresive to compare and D47 is kind of on the other end of the spectrum.

I also agree with fatbloke about saving part or most of your fruit components for secondary, it'll help get a more intense flavor and color in the final product.

Thanks everyone, Im gonna use 1116, and then once fermentation is completed. backsweeten and stabilize in secondary anyways. Then rack after 1-2 weeks and rack to age/clear

Actually, IMO the D47 is closest to 71B. With the others you're gonna need to tweak the recipe or backstweeten if you were hoping for some residual sweetness.

Actually, IMO the D47 is closest to 71B. With the others you're gonna need to tweak the recipe or backstweeten if you were hoping for some residual sweetness.

good point about the D47 huesmann, providing they can keep it in the tighter temperature range to prevent fusels

If the D47 can be kept close to the 60*F mark it will help by lending fruity/citrousy tones to the mead but if keeping cool is an issue i agree with the rest of you on the 1116 yeast.

uh most of the time, ive kept all my meads in fermentation at 65-68* So i dont know which one would be best. most likely ill just opt for the 1116.

Back