Which varieties grow best in New Hampshire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumbo82

Reaction score
I'm going to place an order for a few rhizomes from Northernbrewer. I'm fairly new to homebrewing and am still trying out all the different hop varieties in my brews, so I would like to base my purchasing decision on how well they will grow in central New Hampshire. I'll be planting them in the corner of a vegetable garden with wooden polls for support. Are there any varieties that grow particularly well in the northeast? Thanks.

Well, I ordered one rhizome each of Cascade, Nugget, and Mt. Hood from NB. On freshops.com they recommended Cascade and Nugget as good beginner varieties. I got the Mt. Hood too for no particular reason. Since I'm supposed to wait until after the last frost to plant my hops, should I consider starting them in a pot inside and then transplanting them?

Starting them in gallon pots would be a good idea. Once they sprout give them 12 hours of light a day.

Thanks, david_42. My last order from Northernbrewer arrived on Tuesday, but I'm still waiting for the rhizomes. Once they arrive, I'm going to follow your advice to give my precious little plants a head start. I'm excited.

Back