Which thermometer for my cooler MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xumbi

Reaction score
In hopes of hitting my strike and mash temps more accurately, I want to add a thermometer to my coleman xtreme 62 quart MLT.

I see many people using the digital cooking thermometers with a probe, but I'm wondering if something permanently mounted in the cooler wall would be better?

I saw someone here who had drilled a hole, then used a drilled rubber stopper for mounting his thermometer, but that seems like a less than ideal solution.

Would I be able to use NB's "Cooler Thermometer Fitting" (from here)? My cooler is definitely not 1 1/2" thick, so I'm guessing no. I've had my eye on this thermometer, would it be compatible? Could I buy some other type of fitting that would be compatible?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
The drilled stopper idea works from what i have seen.

You can also add another nipple (like you did for the drain manifold) a big higher up and add a thermometer through that with a compression fitting (for the style you linked) or by adding a coupler and a traditional style brew thermometer.

Also you can do the Bobby_M trick to a digitial cooking thermometer to make it waterproof. I like this idea as you can get wireless ones to monitor temps from afar. These can also be used with a compression fitting like described above.

Atl300zx said:
The drilled stopper idea works from what i have seen.

You can also add another nipple (like you did for the drain manifold) a big higher up and add a thermometer through that with a compression fitting (for the style you linked) or by adding a coupler and a traditional style brew thermometer.

Also you can do the Bobby_M trick to a digitial cooking thermometer to make it waterproof. I like this idea as you can get wireless ones to monitor temps from afar. These can also be used with a compression fitting like described above.
Thanks for the info. I just ordered this thermometer. Depending on what it appears to be best suited for, I will either go the rubber stopper or compression fitting route.

I thought of this as well, but have read alot about taking Mash temps from several locations in your mash to get an accurate temp.

Latest posts

Back