Which tap is better? Nuka or Taprite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personal opinion (/paranoia): Let nothing reactive ever touch your beer! Always use Stainless Steel shanks and taps. Every time you see a used kegerator, or go into a dumpy bar and see the brass where the chrome plating has worn off the tap; realize that the 'missing' chrome is in the organs and tissues of those who consumed the beer that tap served.
The Nukataps are great and in my own experience, not appreciably less in any significant way from one of the Gold Standards of taps: the Perlick 630SS
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/perlick-630ss.htmlI love my Perlick, but the Nuka is cheaper and pretty much as good.

You're gonna get a lot of different opinions here on which taps are best, but really you need to decide between forward seal and rear seal faucets. I used rear seal for many years and didn't mind them, but switching to forward seal was a really nice upgrade. I went with Intertap and I'll share my thought process. Perlick, Intertap, and Nukatap are all forward seal faucets with good reviews. Perlicks are the prettiest, but they don't allow for screw on accessories. Out of the remaining two, Intertap is a better looking tap than Nukatap, IMO. I'm gonna get crap for that statement, lol. So I went with Intertap faucets and love them. I bought the growler fill attachment and got the screw on accessory for my Tapcooler bottle filler and they both work great. Can't do that with rear seat faucets or Perlicks. There really is no bad decision though.

Last edited:
IMO. I'm gonna get crap for that statement, lol.
Not from me! I'll back you up 100% on that! The first time I looked at the Nukatap I thought it was the ugliest looking thing I'd ever seen relating to beer next to Coors, Bud, or Labatt neon signs. I bought my frist Nukatap mainly because of the ball-lock attachment I could screw on to the output, with the intent to use it with my BeerGun for bottling.....The tap easily outperformed my expectations to the point I no longer notice or even register their ugliness as I regularly pour my beers. Though I have a strong sense of aesthetics, I will always lead with Function and Nuka's serve that well. I intend to buy another Perlick or two at some point, but only if I find myself with extra cash and as a vanity exercise.

Nukataps. I have them and the Intertaps, but the Nukas seem smoother opening/closing. Both of their attachments are interchangeable since they are from the same company (Kegland), so that helps if you have one and want to upgrade to the other. I've had Perlicks in the past. Like stated, they don't have attachments like the Intertaps/Nukataps do. They used to (the 425), but I switched due to them being hard to sourced if I wanted to add on.

Rear sealing faucets suck. I'd rather have picnic taps then have to go back to them.

I swapped out a couple of old Perlicks with Intertaps for use with a Tapcooler (tried the Tapcooler 500-Series Perlick Adapter and it didn't work, so mine must have been some previous series ... couldn't find any markings). The Intertaps work well (and bottle well with the Tapcooler), but you'd have no problem in a blind test telling the faucets apart. The Perlicks just have a heavier, smoother and silent mechanism. Either way, I would never go back to rear sealing taps.

I have a Perlick 630SS and an Intertap on my 2-tap kegerator. I use the Perlick for IPA/NEIPA, which is always on tap, and the Intertap for everything else. I went with Intertap for my 2nd tap, instead of Perlick, for the attachment options, specifically the stout tip. I'd go Intertap, Perlick, or Nukatap for longevity. I went Intertap over Nukatap because I think the Intertap looks a little nicer.

This is an interesting thread as I have a Perlick tap that was part of the package I bought with the mini fridge turned kegerator. I have always wondered if I was able to do the beer gun thing with it as I have kegged some beers that I wanted to share but was unable to. I thought about just getting a growler and going straight from the keg into the growler, but then read I would get a lot of foam, which is a problem now just pouring into a glass. So, as I am reading here, Perlick does not have threads on the tap to attach a beer gun? Interesting stuff. Rock On!!!!!!!!!

I got Perlick 650SS taps and then replaced them with Nukataps even though they were nearly new.

Making the Perlicks work correctly took a certain amount of skill. Using Nukataps requires no skill at all, and they cost less. You screw them in, and that's it. Nukataps weigh less, and Kegland claims this means they don't warm first pours (most pours) up much. Kegland also says flow-control faucets agitate beer and make it release CO2. I put Kegland plastic flow control disconnects on my kegs, and adjusting everything is really easy. And my lines are about three feet long.

I got Perlick 650SS taps and then replaced them with Nukataps even though they were nearly new.

Making the Perlicks work correctly took a certain amount of skill. Using Nukataps requires no skill at all, and they cost less. You screw them in, and that's it. Nukataps weigh less, and Kegland claims this means they don't warm first pours (most pours) up much. Kegland also says flow-control faucets agitate beer and make it release CO2. I put Kegland plastic flow control disconnects on my kegs, and adjusting everything is really easy. And my lines are about three feet long.
I don't quite understand when you say making them work takes skill. I have pretty much no skill in many fields and all I did was pull the handle forward and beer came out, push the handle back and it stopped. Damn, I must be better than I thought. LOL (Just teasing, but kinda wondering what you meant by it takes a certain amount of skill). Rock On!!!!!!!!!

Another vote for the Perlick 630SS. I've had mine in near constant use since 2019 and they've been nothing but reliable.

Recently I added a self closing spring which gives me more peace of mind that no tap will be left open (or knocked open by the cat).

I have used Perlick, Intertap, and Nukatap. They all pour well. I’d recommend choosing whichever one, based on appearance and price. (But don’t get the cheap chrome plated ones; SS all the way.)

100%, especially on the stainless (same for the shanks they attach to, stainless all the way). I've used them all. The rear sealing taps are the only ones I'd avoid, so that knocks Taprite off my recommendation.

We have a collection of Tap-Rite faucets, and a collection of several generations of Perlick faucets.
I prefer Tap-Rite. Why? Because mine have never leaked, or dripped. Yes, you need to exercise them daily or they are prone to sticking. But that gives you a good reason to pour a beer!

The Perlicks are finicky, prone to dripping unles you remove them and thoroughly clean them...even if they don't need it. Much more labor intensive.

Never used Nukatap.

Has anyone done any usability comparison with the owen wilson's nose tap (nukatap) versus the intertap? Seems like the intertap is pretty solid, odd that they created an entirely new tap for likely minimal if any benefits.

Back