Which starter kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaW

Reaction score
Hello there.

My and my friends we like beer. A lot. :) So we recently came up with the idea to make our own beer. I started doing some research and I came across this forum. So I'm a total noob and I'm hoping to get some advice from you guys.
I already read some of the (beginners) guides and posts here and now I'm really excited to get started.

I think, for convenience sake, it is good to use a starter kit. I guess there are plenty of them out there. If found some DIY-sets from Coopers, Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies and More Beer. They, more or less, contain the basic means to get started.

My questions is which one is good to start with? Right now we're 4 people. We can easily spend 60 to 80 bucks each. So in total it will be about 240 to 320$. Therefore we should get a decent kit. Right? So the price doesn't matter that much.
Later on, if we like it, it would be good if we can extend the set and try out some new things and recipes.
For the amount we are talking about at least 5 gallons. Otherwise, I think, it is not worth the effort. I mean we are 4 people.

So what do you think? Are there any recommendations for (starter) kits? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

L.

IMO, this is about the best starter kit out there for the money:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-fermonster-homebrew-starter-kit.html

It comes with almost nothing you don't need, and almost everything you do need. Since your resources are $240-320, this leaves you with some spare change for other items you may want to improve your brewing experience.

Morebeer has free shipping over $59; at that price, you could buy another fermenter (so you can have a couple going at once), buy some bottles if you don't have any, add extra caps, and so on.

If I were you, I'd get this kit (I don't care for kits that use buckets, this fermenter is good), an extra fermenter, and then any adjuncts you might like. Further, this kit includes a recipe kit so you don't even have to make a decision about what to brew, so you can focus on the process.

My 2 cents. Good luck and welcome to brewing!

for the price and your budget (assuming the OP is talking all grain) that kit ^^^ is very nice. You'll need a burner. 8 gallons is too big for a stove top.

+1 on the kit. It allows for future growth without needing new gear. One other small but important thing I didn't see listed is an auto-siphon. Makes life easier transfering from fermenter to bottling bucket.

Here are IMO the best burners for your buck from $50 to $100. My SQ14 ($50) served me well for years, but after buying the kab6 ($100--same as kab4 but a little bigger stand that will hold a keggle) I wish I'd bought one earlier.
Bayou Classic Single Burner Patio Stove https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Bayou Classic KAB4 High Pressure Banjo Cooker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Bayou Classic KAB6 Bayou Cooker with Hose Guard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003B7USOM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Linda! Brewing is great fun, you won't be sorry.
A burner is a good addition if you are brewing outdoors. Extract and even BIAB batches can be done indoors with a partial boil. I suggest that you start with proven kits or recipes.
Study and practice will make great beer.

If I were starting all over, I would probably go with the Morebeer kit shown above. The Fermonster fermenter that comes with the kit has a spigot on it, so you don't need an autosiphon.

If you decide to make the jump to all grain go BIAB and get a Wilserbrew bag. While I learned a lot from batch sparging I'd go straight to BIAB if I had to do it again! That said, if you think this is a hobby you'll continue with go for a bigger kettle. At least 10 gallon and you'll thank yourself for a 15. It is hard for me to do 5 gallon full volume BIAB batches of anything but a small beer (blonde, kolsch, etc) in my 10

Take my word on this: mongoose and PADave helped me with this same question about a month ago. You really don't need to look any further than that moorebeer kit. You'll be ahead of the game in every single way. It even has a chiller in it. Seriously, don't hesitate like I did. This kit is the real deal. The pot is big and heavy, with really nice welds in it. You can add temp probes and stuff. You can't go wrong. I added a pic of the pot. Sorry, I don't have a pic of everything else.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1485311898.284313.jpg

WOW. That looks fancy though. :) I guess it's pretty good value for money.

IMO, this is about the best starter kit out there for the money:

https://www.morebeer.com/products/premium-fermonster-homebrew-starter-kit.html

It comes with almost nothing you don't need, and almost everything you do need. Since your resources are $240-320, this leaves you with some spare change for other items you may want to improve your brewing experience.

I've seen they also have another kit on their site. It contains a slightly smaller fermenter and brew kettle. Also there is no Copper Wort Chiller. And it is 100 bucks cheaper.

So what do I need the chiller for? And I guess, if I get one of the kits, I still need a burner? Right?
Sorry for all these questions. But this is all new to me.

Thanks you all the very helpful comments. I will show the kits to my friends.

The chiller is to quickly drop the temperature of the wort so you can get it into the carboy. The longer it takes the greater the chance of contamination. I bought a turkey frier from Meijer, works fine for me. Do you or one of the guys in your group have turkey frier? Make sure you have a second propane tank. You DON'T to run out half way through your brew. Good thing I had a second one on hand. Buy a book and read it. Make sure you know all the basic steps before you start. I know this isn't what you were wondering, but the advice may be more than what you paid for it. I log my brews and my all my mistakes. I always read over my log before I brew and say, "Well I don't want to make THAT mistake again."

WOW. That looks fancy though. :) I guess it's pretty good value for money.

I've seen they also have another kit on their site. It contains a slightly smaller fermenter and brew kettle. Also there is no Copper Wort Chiller. And it is 100 bucks cheaper.

So what do I need the chiller for? And I guess, if I get one of the kits, I still need a burner? Right?
Sorry for all these questions. But this is all new to me.

Thanks you all the very helpful comments. I will show the kits to my friends.

Yes, you'll need a burner, but they are part of what you might buy w/ the extra money saved by buying the kit. A turkey-fryer burner can work for that if it produces enough BTUs. I have one that produces 54,000 btus and it's fine. You can find propane burners for in the area of $35, or if someone already has a turkey fryer burner, lots of people use those for brewing.

BTW, I remember very clearly what it is like to be new at this brewing thing. There's all this new terminology that doesn't click (sparge, hydrometer, mash tun, specific gravity, etc. etc. etc), and you're trying to get equipiment that will work well without breaking the bank. And if you're like me, you know you're going to make a few choices you'll wish you had back.

Our feedback for you is in hopes you can have fewer of those choices you will wish you had back. In other words, what are you going to wish you'd done 3 months from now?

What makes the more expensive kit better (and it is, a lot better)?

One concern is fermenter size. The cheaper kit has a 6-gallon size, the other a 7-gallon size. If you get a lot of krausen--the foam on top of the beer as it's fermenting--you may exceed the capacity of the fermenter to contain it. You rarely if ever will with a 7-gallon size. I have a different brand, 6.5-gallon size, and while I've been close, I haven't exceeded it. With a 6-gallon fermenter, I'd have had a blowout through the airlock.

Second concern is kettle size. This really is important. Yes, there are ways around small kettle size with extract and other kits, but they aren't optimal. The more expensive kit includes an 8.5-gallon kettle. It will be very difficult to have a boilover w/ the larger kettle. As you progress with this--and I'll bet you $10 you get hooked on brewing--you'll want to do 5-gallon batches.

Five-gallon batches are the standard homebrewing batch size. Since there are four of you, trust me--and really, trust me here--you're not going to want small batches. You WILL want the larger kettle within a month or two. As you progress, you'll begin to brew recipes you find, and the vast majority are for 5-gallon batches.

Further, that larger kettle has a ball valve on it, which the smaller 5-gallon kettle does not. It also has a second port into which you could later, if you wanted, install a thermometer that reads directly what the temperature of the kettle is.

Third concern, you want that immersion chiller. You have to cool down the beer before you pitch the yeast; if it's too warm you'll kill the yeast. Chilling quickly also promotes "cold break" which is a precipitation of proteins out of the wort that you have just boiled.

The kettle is a huge upgrade over the dime-a-dozen 5-gallon kettle in the cheaper kit. You want the 7-gallon fermenter instead of the 6-gallon fermenter. And you really will want the chiller. It can take over an hour to chill using an ice bath, and far longer if you just let it sit. Unless you want your brew days to be long, long, long, you want a chiller.

This is worth well more than the $100 difference--and you don't have to screw around with making a bunch of decisions.

I started out w/ a kit--but I had to buy a hydrometer, there was no spoon, it didn't come w/ any Star-San sanitizer.....and this is the kind of stuff that, as a newbie, I didn't necessarily know I needed. If I were starting again, no question--this is the kit I'd get. And it would have saved me a ton of money.

The morebeer Premium kit is a remarkable collection of items you need for brewing. You'll still have about $90 left after the $230 cost to buy a burner if needed, and maybe some bottles and extra caps. If someone has a propane grill with a propane tank, you're set there as long as you have enough gas.

Linda, in the 15 months since I started, I've brewed 24 batches. The first three were extract batches (which is where you should start to learn the process), then I went to all-grain. I started kegging my beer, built a keezer so I have tap beer on hand all the time at home, bought a Reverse-Osmosis filter system to provide me with brewing water (my tap water is NG for brewing most beers), and I've made some really good beer.

I just upgraded to a bigger 10-gallon Spike Brewing kettle, since my 8-gallon wouldn't accommodate the new Jaded Hydra chiller I bought), and bought a new Blichmann Hellfire burner. BTW, I have a friend who's getting into brewing, he's now the proud owner of my former kettle and immersion chiller. Sucked him right into this, did I. :) But he's having fun and loved the first beer (an IPA that Yooper has a recipe for here on HBT), and he is antsy to do it again.

In other words, I've come a long way since November 2015. I remember what it is like to be new. I remember trying to make all the equipment decisions. The Morebeer Premium kit is it. Look no further. Buy it and brew the kit they include.

Just do it, Linda! :)

<my 2 cents. YMMV. Void where prohibited by law.>

@mongoose33:
Thank you so much for the additional information! I guess once you get hooked, there is no way out. :)

So I guess will go for the bigger set and the the medium Bayou Classic KAB4 burner. It looks like a sound start, eh? ;)
As for the burner, maybe we can grab a used one.

I'll let you guys know about the decision. Thanks a lot! I'm so excited... :D

Yes, you'll need a burner, but they are part of what you might buy w/ the extra money saved by buying the kit. A turkey-fryer burner can work for that if it produces enough BTUs. I have one that produces 54,000 btus and it's fine. You can find propane burners for in the area of $35, or if someone already has a turkey fryer burner, lots of people use those for brewing.

BTW, I remember very clearly what it is like to be new at this brewing thing. There's all this new terminology that doesn't click (sparge, hydrometer, mash tun, specific gravity, etc. etc. etc), and you're trying to get equipiment that will work well without breaking the bank. And if you're like me, you know you're going to make a few choices you'll wish you had back.

Our feedback for you is in hopes you can have fewer of those choices you will wish you had back. In other words, what are you going to wish you'd done 3 months from now?

What makes the more expensive kit better (and it is, a lot better)?

One concern is fermenter size. The cheaper kit has a 6-gallon size, the other a 7-gallon size. If you get a lot of krausen--the foam on top of the beer as it's fermenting--you may exceed the capacity of the fermenter to contain it. You rarely if ever will with a 7-gallon size. I have a different brand, 6.5-gallon size, and while I've been close, I haven't exceeded it. With a 6-gallon fermenter, I'd have had a blowout through the airlock.

Second concern is kettle size. This really is important. Yes, there are ways around small kettle size with extract and other kits, but they aren't optimal. The more expensive kit includes an 8.5-gallon kettle. It will be very difficult to have a boilover w/ the larger kettle. As you progress with this--and I'll bet you $10 you get hooked on brewing--you'll want to do 5-gallon batches.

Five-gallon batches are the standard homebrewing batch size. Since there are four of you, trust me--and really, trust me here--you're not going to want small batches. You WILL want the larger kettle within a month or two. As you progress, you'll begin to brew recipes you find, and the vast majority are for 5-gallon batches.

Further, that larger kettle has a ball valve on it, which the smaller 5-gallon kettle does not. It also has a second port into which you could later, if you wanted, install a thermometer that reads directly what the temperature of the kettle is.

Third concern, you want that immersion chiller. You have to cool down the beer before you pitch the yeast; if it's too warm you'll kill the yeast. Chilling quickly also promotes "cold break" which is a precipitation of proteins out of the wort that you have just boiled.

The kettle is a huge upgrade over the dime-a-dozen 5-gallon kettle in the cheaper kit. You want the 7-gallon fermenter instead of the 6-gallon fermenter. And you really will want the chiller. It can take over an hour to chill using an ice bath, and far longer if you just let it sit. Unless you want your brew days to be long, long, long, you want a chiller.

This is worth well more than the $100 difference--and you don't have to screw around with making a bunch of decisions.

I started out w/ a kit--but I had to buy a hydrometer, there was no spoon, it didn't come w/ any Star-San sanitizer.....and this is the kind of stuff that, as a newbie, I didn't necessarily know I needed. If I were starting again, no question--this is the kit I'd get. And it would have saved me a ton of money.

The morebeer Premium kit is a remarkable collection of items you need for brewing. You'll still have about $90 left after the $230 cost to buy a burner if needed, and maybe some bottles and extra caps. If someone has a propane grill with a propane tank, you're set there as long as you have enough gas.

Linda, in the 15 months since I started, I've brewed 24 batches. The first three were extract batches (which is where you should start to learn the process), then I went to all-grain. I started kegging my beer, built a keezer so I have tap beer on hand all the time at home, bought a Reverse-Osmosis filter system to provide me with brewing water (my tap water is NG for brewing most beers), and I've made some really good beer.

I just upgraded to a bigger 10-gallon Spike Brewing kettle, since my 8-gallon wouldn't accommodate the new Jaded Hydra chiller I bought), and bought a new Blichmann Hellfire burner. BTW, I have a friend who's getting into brewing, he's now the proud owner of my former kettle and immersion chiller. Sucked him right into this, did I. :) But he's having fun and loved the first beer (an IPA that Yooper has a recipe for here on HBT), and he is antsy to do it again.

In other words, I've come a long way since November 2015. I remember what it is like to be new. I remember trying to make all the equipment decisions. The Morebeer Premium kit is it. Look no further. Buy it and brew the kit they include.

Just do it, Linda! :)

<my 2 cents. YMMV. Void where prohibited by law.>

I dont know about Linda, but you talked me into buying it. I have been eyeing kits to upgrade from my Mr. Beer and 1 gallon small batches I have going. I make alot of wine, so I have several things i would need already, but for the price, its hard to beat. I have been trying to part out that kit, to see how much it would cost me to purchase, the items that I need, and not the whole kit. It costs just about the same, and I wont get the capper, caps, star san, and a few other things. Thats pretty impressive..

I already have a Dark Star 2.0, that I use for Distilling projects ( freak, Im legally licensed to do so Lol) so i wont need to purchase a burner.

I really appreciate the detail, time, and effort you put into this post.

I dont know about Linda, but you talked me into buying it.

Sweet! :)

Alight folks. Me and my friends, we finally made a decision. Firstly we'll take the MoreBeer Premium Fermonster Homebrew Starter Kit as suggested here in the forum. It is unarguably a very good value for money. Secondly we'll also go for the Bayou Classic KAB4 burner. We found a used one cheap for sale online (http://www.for-sale.ie/bayou-classic-kab4-burner) for about some 60-ish bucks.
In total it comes down to about 300, which is totally fine. And we are all more then happy with that decision.

I really appreciate the detail, time, and effort you put into this post.

Indeed! A big thanks to everybody contributing to this thread!

Back