Which rhizomes to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a few (two or three) rhizomes this year for the first time. I'm looking at the rhizomes at Farmhouse Brewing Supply I was thinking of getting the following rhizomes. What is everyone's thoughts? I live in Western NY (in the finger lakes region) and hops grow really well here from what I understand. My favorite brews are IPA and Pale Ales or anything hoppy!

Centennial
Brewers Gold
Chinook (maybe)
Mt. Hood (maybe)
Magnum (maybe)
Nugget (maybe)

I would go with cascade, but a friend of ours brother has these hops growing and has already supplied me with last years hops. He no longer brews beer so I may continue to get them. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. The first two seem like solid ones for me, but I'm no expert. Thank you all in advance! :mug:

I was just getting started when I lived up there in the late 80's and didn't have a chance to grow more than one or two varieties so I wouldn't want to suggest any one in particular. They should be able to give you a better idea as to what grows well in your region. Hoppy Trails~

I think any of the "C" hops. I like to use my homegrown hops late, don't have to worry about acid levels that way. I have Chinook, Centennial, and Cascade. Make for wonderful IPA.

I'm growing my hops a little further northeast than you, up in Maine but centennial, Columbus and especially magnum and nugget grow the best for me. Willamette and mt hood have produced the least. Cascade has been steady but nothing like the others I mentioned

I've successfully grown hops before, Tettnanger in Oregon (near Astoria) and Cascade in Reno NV. Now I'm in Tulsa OK and have been thwarted with both those varieties. the rhizomes won't even attempt to begin growing. I suspect heat may be the issue here.

My question is this: does anyone know of a reasonably decent hops variety that will grow in the South and if so where can I buy them?

I brew roughly six gallons a week and really want to once again produce my own hops.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated!

Id even look at some of the neo-mexicana varieties. they seem to be creating a buzz and they are native to that region I believe

Not exactly sure what you're getting at when you say 'reasonably decent', but it looks like Canadian Red Vine may be an option: http://allaboutbeer.com/canadian-red-vine/

By "reasonably decent" I mean something that is hardy, productive, disease resistant, and has reputation for being both bittering and aroma hop. Hopefully not too tall an order...

Regardless, thanks for the suggestion and the link!

FWIW, I've been growing Brewer's Gold for the last two years, and am not very impressed by them. Flavor and aroma just don't seem quite right, and even when used as bittering there is a certain something that I don't like. I'm thinking of digging them up and replacing with Galena or Nugget.

If you like hoppy, definitely go with the Centennial and Chinook... and I've heard of folks using Nugget in their IPAs for flavor/aroma - Never done it myself, so I don't have a comment. But it is a good bittering hop!

I'm in CT, so not that far from NY. I grow Cascade, Centennial, & Chinook. The Cascade and Centennial have done the best. My advice for a new hop grower is plenty of space, South facing as much as possible and good soil with good drainage(hence the hills you hear about in hop growing.)

Fellow wny hop grower... Hops can thrive here! If you like hoppy beers I would grow Centennial, Columbus and Chinook, assuming you already have a Cascade supply.Out of the three Centennial tends to cost more to buy, so growing it can cut the cost of your brews down. Good soil is critical. Best of luck with your grow!

I personally would suggest growing all centennial. (Since you, have Cascade.). Centennial doesn't seem to grow as strong as Cascade which has pros and cons. One hop you don't have on there is Northern Brewer which I think is also a good complement to ipas, but also other styles as well.

Brizzo-
I'm in Seacoast Maine -- would love to know how the growing has gone for you. I'd like to get started this year -- will likely follow your advice on the four varieties -- any other tips for growing in Maine? How did you do your trellis?
Thanks.

Only advice is lots of water and I find that rabbit droppings make for an excellent fertilizer. These things want to grow. Pretty hard to kill em

Latest posts

Back