Which recipe? Help me decide please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jefe73

Reaction score
All -

I've decided to try and put together my first "non-kit" extract recipe and was wondering if you all could look these two versions over and make any comments or suggestions...thanks!

Jefe's Buzz Kill - American Wheat version

6 # Wheat Malt Syrup
1 # Two Row Rahr or maybe 1 # Gambrinus Honey Malt?
2 1/2 # CA Orange Blossom Honey
1 oz. Willamette (60 min)
1 oz. Coriander (10 min)
1 oz. Sweet Orangel Peel (1 min) steeped for 10 minutes
Wyeast #1010 American Wheat Yeast

OR

Jefe's Buzz Kill - Belgian Wit version

6 # Wheat Malt Syrup
1 # Dingemans Pale 3.2 L
1 oz. Saaz (60 min)
1 oz. Coriander (10 min)
1 oz. Sweet Orange Peel (1 min) steeped for 10 minutes
Wyeast #3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast

So, how do these recipes look? Are my measurements and boil times correct? Again, I would appreciate any feedback that you might have! :mug:

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Well I guess no posts to this thread is good news in that my recipes look ok! :p

Still feel free to leave a response if you have one though! :rockin:

Jefe73 said:
All -

I've decided to try and put together my first "non-kit" extract recipe and was wondering if you all could look these two versions over and make any comments or suggestions...thanks!

Jefe's Buzz Kill - American Wheat version

6 # Wheat Malt Syrup
1 # Two Row Rahr or maybe 1 # Gambrinus Honey Malt?
1 oz. Willamette (60 min)
1 oz. Coriander (10 min)
1 oz. Sweet Orangel Peel (1 min) steeped for 10 minutes
Wyeast #1010 American Wheat Yeast

So, how do these recipes look? Are my measurements and boil times correct? Again, I would appreciate any feedback that you might have! :mug:

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Id do this one but throw out the Williamette and use Saaz at 60 and .5 Hallertaur at 5

First both recipes have a small amount of 2-row base malts. These malts need to be mashed and won't add anything significant by themselves. I would use a small amount of honey malt or carapils in their place.
Second if you are trying for a Belgian Wit use the Wit yeast, if you want an American wheat I would skip the orange and coriander. Basically the Buzz Kill looks like a hybrid to me, it may be what you intended but it looks like an experiment. I would recommend doing a recipe to style first before experimenting. That's just my opinion. :)

Craig

+1 for the saaz. I did one with all hallertauer and it came out very good. Also, thats alot of honey so it may ferment pretty dry, but that could be a good thing. I know i only used a half pound in mine, but i know that next time i try it i plan to use a full pound.

Can anyone suggest the best method for incorporating the honey into the recipe? Should it go in with the first hop addition at 60 minutes? Should it go in with 10 minutes to go and then steep? Should it go in at flameout? Should it be boiled separately and then added to the primary with the wort or should it be added during secondary? Maybe a combination of the above? Yeah, I've got a lot of questions when it comes to working with honey!

Thanks!
Jeff

Back