Which Pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorRobert

Reaction score
10 gallon aluminum for $60 shipped.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHKL3G/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

9 Gallon stainless ported:
http://www.homebrewing.org/ONE-WELD-9-Gallon-Stainless-Steel-pot-_p_1683.html?AffId=160

This ends up being like 90 shipped, with a brass valve.

I dont think the stainless, 1 gallon less, and port is worth the extra $30. But is something wrong with that aluminum pot, is it too thin?

I'm not debating between aluminum and stainless, so dont start that.

What's the benefit of the port really? Right now I just dump the wort in the carboy using a funnel. Would using the port help aeration at all? Like if I just had it slowly drain into the carboy, would that be sufficient for aeration?

Last edited by a moderator:
Having a valve comes in handy for several reasons.

1. No more lifting a heavy, full kettle. Saves the back.
2. You can do things like whirlpooling, then drawing off the clear wort after the break and hops have settled into the middle of the kettle
3. It allows for future expansion of your rig, like using pumps or counterflow/plate chillers.

I like the stainless pot. The port gives you options and if you decided to with an immersion chiller or some other type of chiller, you can gravity feed from the port. For 5 gallon batches this pot will give you years of quality and durability. Plus, its shiny! I never have been brave enough to brew in an aluminum pot, just a bit skeptical, i guess? I do know that Star San will turn aluminum black if it has too much contact time. Spend the extra $$ and go with the SS pot. You will be glad you did...

I have the SS pot from hbing.org you linked. It's a nice a pot and great to have the valved port. The pot is a little thin and has a weld seam at the bottom, but not a big deal. Good for the price.

I like the stainless pot. The port gives you options and if you decided to with an immersion chiller or some other type of chiller, you can gravity feed from the port. For 5 gallon batches this pot will give you years of quality and durability. Plus, its shiny! I never have been brave enough to brew in an aluminum pot, just a bit skeptical, i guess? I do know that Star San will turn aluminum black if it has too much contact time. Spend the extra $$ and go with the SS pot. You will be glad you did...

I never heard that with aluminum. In fact I left my star san unscrewed once, inside the pot, and bunch spilled out and it sat like that for a week or so, the bottom of the pot ended up being super shiny.

Hopefully I can find the money for the ported pot. The amazon gift card I have doesnt help the decision.

I have the 32 quart version of the aluminum pot... Works GREAT once you condition it. I've even installed a 1/2" brass ball valve into it (myself) which was damned easy to do.

BTW, conditioning an aluminum pot is beyond yeast... Simply fill it as high as you can, with tap water, then boil for 30 minutes (longer if you like, but should be ready after 30 minutes of a solid boil). You'll get that nice dark coating inside it... THAT'S what you want, since it's a layer of aluminum oxide that's a barrier between the pot and the wort.

I have zero regrets about using the kettle I have... No negative flavors in the brews made in it (several to date) and it works really, really well. It even seems to cool down fast when I put the IC into the kettle to chill my wort...

Golddiggie said:
I have the 32 quart version of the aluminum pot... Works GREAT once you condition it. I've even installed a 1/2" brass ball valve into it (myself) which was damned easy to do.

BTW, conditioning an aluminum pot is beyond yeast... Simply fill it as high as you can, with tap water, then boil for 30 minutes (longer if you like, but should be ready after 30 minutes of a solid boil). You'll get that nice dark coating inside it... THAT'S what you want, since it's a layer of aluminum oxide that's a barrier between the pot and the wort.

I have zero regrets about using the kettle I have... No negative flavors in the brews made in it (several to date) and it works really, really well. It even seems to cool down fast when I put the IC into the kettle to chill my wort...

How did you install the valve? I dont know how to weld is there another way?

Also cant you just put the pot in the oven to condition it too? Thats what i did with my current pot

Golddiggie said:

I second that on aluminum. Been brewing a few batches and all the beer have been a hit. It takes less time to get to boil and cool without a wort chiller.

How did you install the valve? I dont know how to weld is there another way?

7/8" hole saw and my cordless drill... Picked up the no-weld kit from Strange Brew... :D Went through the pot really easy... Of course, I used a powerful drill...

Also cant you just put the pot in the oven to condition it too? Thats what i did with my current pot

I tried that first, and had no luck... So I just filled it with hot tap water and set the sucker to boil (with the lid on)...

IF you want, we could hook up and I'll take you to the restaurant supplier that I got mine at... I got the 32 quart, with lid, for about $45... No shipping charges... It's in Needham Heights, right off of rt. 128... :D Hell, I could even give you a hand installing the ball valve it you want... We're close enough after all.

you can get a weldless fitting from many places, including bargainfittings.com

I just did my first brew in a 40qt Al pot today. Worked just fine, in fact it was better than my old thin SS turkey fryer pot. The new Al pot is 4mm thick and allows me to keep a nice boil going.

I boiled water in mine for an hour a couple of weeks ago to get it ready. Has a nice coating of oxide on it.

lotusworker said:
I second that on aluminum. Been brewing a few batches and all the beer have been a hit. It takes less time to get to boil and cool without a wort chiller.

So youve tried stainless steel or speculating there is a measurable difference in cooling.

Its not about stainless vs aluminum, i could care less. But it sounds like 50 bucks now extra for the ported stainless. Now, is there anyway to port the aluminum without being able to weld.

Now, is there anyway to port the aluminum without being able to weld.

It's easy... Just use the no-weld fitting sets... All you need to be able to do is drill a hole and use some basic hand tools...

As I already mentioned, I'd be willing to help you out, since I've already done this, plus have the hole saw and great drill (plus other tools)... I would estimate that it would take all of maybe 10 minutes to drill the hole, install the assembly, and at least cold water test it. I also have the larger thickness silicon o-rings for use with the setup... I did find that you want to smooth the edges of the hole you drill. I have a wire wheel that fits my drill for that task. Again, VERY easy to do...

It's easy... Just use the no-weld fitting sets... All you need to be able to do is drill a hole and use some basic hand tools...

As I already mentioned, I'd be willing to help you out, since I've already done this, plus have the hole saw and great drill (plus other tools)... I would estimate that it would take all of maybe 10 minutes to drill the hole, install the assembly, and at least cold water test it. I also have the larger thickness silicon o-rings for use with the setup... I did find that you want to smooth the edges of the hole you drill. I have a wire wheel that fits my drill for that task. Again, VERY easy to do...

Thanks - didnt see your earlier post. Sounds like a great plan. I'll take a look at the fittings - and send you a PM when I can sneak this by SWMBO.

How do you like using the 8 gallon pot? I have a 7.5 gallon one, so I was thinking of going bigger to do 90 minute boils and avoid any boil overs, as I've had one or two recently. If I'm doing 5 to 5.5 gallons - I shouldnt have troubles on paper, but I do. Maybe I have too much water pre boil.

Does your pot have any volume markings on it?

Latest posts

Back