Which of the two for a porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishfood

Reaction score
I plan on brewing a mild porter this weekend, and I have two yeasts to choose from. I have several jars of S-04 that I washed a couple of weeks ago that I could make a starter from and use, and I also have a brew that is ready for bottling fermented with Munton's Gold that I could wash and immediately pitch the same day.

I have made a porter with Munton's Gold, and I really liked it, though it does seem to take a long time to bottle carb and condition. The S-04 I have just sampled the mild bitter that I brewed with it, but I can tell that it still needs more time, so I don't have a good grasp of it's taste just yet.

What are your thoughts?

I think I've used s04 for a Porter and liked it. I believe it attenuates less than Munton's Premium Gold, which would be good for the style, but I've never used Premium Gold (only regular Munton's.

S-04 did great on my Christmas Ale last year. Only thing to pay attention to is that it goes dormant if the temperature falls below the low 60s.

Some people describe a dusty taste resulting from 04 use. Can't say it's something I've noticed the few times I've used it but I've only ever used it in dark beers. Haven't used muntons but the s04 should be fine.

Back