Which keg should I drink first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronstar55

Reaction score
I brewed 2 batches of pale ale (same recipe) on the same day.

Keg1 - 2 weeks bucket primary to corny secondary, dry hopped and left 4 days, then cold crashed 3 days under 3lbs co2, then transferred to serving keg (full).

Keg2 - 2 weeks in bucket primary to carboy secondary, dry hopped and left 6 days, then cold crashed outside overnight. Bottled 16 bottles and kegged the rest, so keg is a little over half full.

I'm leaving both in my kegerator for a week or so before drinking. Just wondering - from a conditioning standpoint - what keg should I tap first? Or maybe there is no difference?

Keg 2 is less full so I would drink it first, but otherwise, I can't see a clear priority. Do you have more than one tap?

Yes - 2 taps. So I will be able to taste test each one. Just wondering if the volume of beer in relation to volume of keg has any effect on conditioning.

On each keg - I purged by putting 20 lbs in and then venting - 3 times
Then put each on 15 lbs overnight.
Then put each on 8 lbs, waiting a week to tap one or the other.
No priming sugar in either one. I added the priming sugar to the bottling bucket after racking from the 2nd keg.
The full keg was brewed a couple of hours before the half full keg
The kegs sit side by side in the same kegerator

Back