Which is better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron4AU

Reaction score
Just getting starting into homebrewing (already obsessed) and I'm looking at different setups. Basically I'm wondering if I should get a kit with 2 glass carboys or one thats slightly cheaper and comes with a 1 bucket and 1 glass carboy. Here are the kits....

Option A: $79.95

6.5 gallon fermenting bucket with drilled and grommeted lid, 5 gallon glass carboy, 6.5 gallon bottling bucket with spigot, 2 airlocks, drilled stopper, red head bottle capper, 24" curved racking cane with tip, spring tip bottle filler, 5 foot of 3/8" tubing, carboy brush, stick-on thermometer, sanitizer, priming sugar, 60 bottle caps, book - "True Brew Handbook"

Option B: $94.95

6 1/2 gallon glass carboy, 5 gallon glass carboy, 6.5 gallon bottling bucket with spigot, 2 airlocks, 2 drilled stoppers, red head bottle capper, 24" curved racking cane with tip, spring tip bottle filler, 5 foot of 3/8" tubing, carboy brush, 8" funnel with strainer, stick-on thermometer, sanitizer, priming sugar, 60 bottle caps, book - "True Brew Handbook"

If I'm using glass does the area need to be pretty dark? I dont think I have a place thats both void of sunlight and temperature controlled. I have 1 small closet and it's full. Garage gets cold at night. Anyone?

I'd go with Option A, it'll get you going. The only difference seems to be the glass fermenter vs the plastic fermenter. There are plenty of opinions on here about only go with glass and others that say plastic is fine. I still use my plastic bucket fermenter and I've been brewing for over a year and half. I don't own a 6.5 gallon glass carboy, the 5 gallon is more important to me for secondary / clearing. I did buy a 6 gal better bottle, and I use this AND my plastic bucket for primary, so I can do two at once. Anyway, I would recommend option A and save the other $15 toward ingredients or a kit. When my wife bought me my kit it was basically option A but came with a Munton's Porter kit for $95. That way I got going and could make beer.

I would try to find a dark cool, not too cool, place. The garage sounds like it won't work. You can always put a giant cardboard box around your fermenter to act as a closet to keep light out for a temporary fix. My friend did this and his beer came out fine.

It seems like they want $20 extra for a strainer funnel and for a switch from plastic primary to glass. Not worth it, IMO. Those strainer funnels are like $8 normally IIRC.

yeah, you don't wanna keep a glass carboy full of wort/beer in sunlight. You can always cover them with a blanket or an old sweatshirt though.

Thanks for the advice! What is the funnel with strainer used for anyways?

The funnel is to make filling a carboy easier...a strainer strains the wort.

You can get both of them cheaper at any hardware, big box discount, or even a dollar store...They're handy, but not at LHBS' prices.

Keep the box you carboy comes in. When you remove the carboy, cut the flaps of the box, then flip it over and cut a hole the size of the carboy neck in the center. When you ferment you can place your new handy brew closet over the carboy to protect it from the light.

I'm not a big fan of glass primaries. Buckets are easier to use, easier to clean, easier to carry and cheaper. Plus there is no danger of a glass grenade if you drop it. However you can't watch the fermentation in a bucket.
If I was to get a carboy it would be a Better Bottle. Similar to a glass carboy but lighter and no danger associated with the glass. They are only slightly more expensive that a glass carboy.
Midwest Homebrewing sells kits that include Better bottles if you want to buy them as a kit.

If you use a glass carboy or Betterbottle make sure you cover it or store it in a dark location. I use an old dark shirt to cover the carboy.

Craig

Back