Which is better - fermenter or keg time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turlian

Reaction score
I've brewed a modified batch of Ed's HPA, and expect it to be fully fermented at 14 days. Normally, I'd just let the beer sit for at least 3 weeks before bottling / kegging, but I need to be able to serve it 7 days after the 2 week fermentation.

My question is this - would the flavor be better served by letting the beer stay in primary for, say, an extra 5 days and then burst carbing, or should I just go ahead and keg for that last week?

Thanks!

keg it for the last week. You'll get better carbonation that won't come out of solution all at once while you pour it. I've done it both ways and the burst carbonation never has that lasting fiz throughout the pint the was that the beers I've taken my time with have.

When I am in a rush to get a beer on tap I keg, purge and chill to serving temp while hooked up to the gas at proper serving pressure. Once the beer is at serving temp I shake the piss out of it while it is still at serving pressure. I cant overcarb it, but it has more days to mellow while fully carbed, after a week I have nice lacing and no carbonic bite.

It works for me, YMMV.

Latest posts

Back