Which faucet is best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stefan01

Reaction score
Hi guys. Just getting geared up to build my kegerator. I have the freezer but have a few questions. Are the basic faucets worth while? The perlick name seams pretty good. What's a disadvantage of cheaping out? Also is the stc1000 temperature controller easy to set up/install? It seams oddly cheap for what it does.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Don't have to pull the perlicks apart as often to clean. Worth it IMO

I went with perlicks and they're very good, apparently give a better pour as well as less cleaning issues. And the STC1000 is super easy, there is a pile of info and schematics on how to do it, I'm far from an electrical whizz and it took me about 20 minutes to build a controller

Rear seal faucets are highly prone to sticking - stuck fast enough that one may literally snap off a tap handle. Unless you're pouring daily from every faucet, I'd go with forward sealing models...

Cheers!

Go with the Perls you won't be disappointed. I went with the cheapys first time around and ended up buying Perls later. Don't do it twice. Best decision I've made.

Hi guys. Just getting geared up to build my kegerator. I have the freezer but have a few questions. Are the basic faucets worth while? The perlick name seams pretty good. What's a disadvantage of cheaping out? Also is the stc1000 temperature controller easy to set up/install? It seams oddly cheap for what it does.

I have the chrome plated brass perlicks and I love em. I have had no flavor issues and no stuck taps.

SS Perlick for me and never a stuck tap. Never cleanred it either (taking it apart). Just the normal Oxy line soak for 24 hours, water rinse, and StarSan sanitizing.

Perlicks!

When I upgraded my kegerator the new one came with 2 standard faucets. I used one for about half a keg just to try it out. Switched it out and put the perlick back on. I had to apply a lot of force to get the faucet to open up everyday. Unless you are a bar pouring beer all day long go perlick. I was actually worried I was going to do damage to my draft tower I was pulling on it so hard to get it unstuck.

I also have 4 perlicks (3x525ss, 1x575ss) and haven't had a problem with them, FWIW.

Thanks guys. Sounds like a no brainer. Perlick it is.

Looks like you made up your mind and I was just going to say Perlick is the way to go. I had the cheap standard taps and broke one because it stuck. Went to the Perlick 525ss taps and never had one stick at all. Also super easy to clean.

Looks like you made up your mind and I was just going to say Perlick is the way to go. I had the cheap standard taps and broke one because it stuck. Went to the Perlick 525ss taps and never had one stick at all. Also super easy to clean.

I broke mine over the weekend. Just ordered the Perlick 630SS.

copy/paste from another thread

I will post my $0.02 since I just pulled the trigger this week on 5 perlick 525PC and shanks from RiteBrew.com I have 2 old no-name cheap faucets that I have not used in years because they always gave me fits in my younger days of brewing and inexperience. Stuck faucets and gunk in my beers turned me to simple/cheap picnic taps for the last few years. I have 3 shanks already and ordered 2 more to complete my kegorator and none is SS. I hope I don't regret this purchase or being a cheap ass, but my $140 order would have doubled going with SS faucets, shanks and tail pieces.

I emailed them asking if SS was needed. I know that is a 100% subjective question and this is what I got in response.

I wouldn't worry about the chrome coming off, everybody seems very happy with the 525PC version. Plus if you're going SS, you should get SS shanks as well which is more $$.

I'd say the only good reason to go all stainless is if you plan to do a lot of sour beers (or wine) on tap. The low pH can eat away at brass.

But some people just like Stainless Steel, so it's your choice.

I've got 4 x 525ss (Perlick). Not a single problem, ever. My taps are outside in the FL heat all year round, so I spent the extra few bucks on the SS for piece of mind.

My shanks are not SS but are chrome plated. They came as a bundle with the faucets. No problem there.

The Perlick 545 PC flow control faucets take all the aggravation out of precise line length, temp, and serving PSI. They make it hard not the get a perfect pour each glass.

Is it worth getting the flow control perlicks over the regular faucet? I've herd they can have issues with the flow control mechanism.

Is it worth getting the flow control perlicks over the regular faucet? I've herd they can have issues with the flow control mechanism.

They have worked flawlessly for me, but have no clue what issues others might have had.

Back