Which DME for starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friscobrewer

Reaction score
Which DME do you generally use for yeast starters? I used to use just a pale, but LHBS suggested wheat. Guy said it had the most nutrients in it for the yeast to get going. I've never heard this anywhere else and have been wondering if it is true or not.

I've never heard that before but it could certainly be true. I agree with the poster above. It isn't going to make enough of a difference to buy wheat DME if you already have some light laying around.

I also never heard of the wheat being higher in nutrients. Light DME is the most versatile as it will bring the least flavor component into whatever you are brewing. As to the nutrients, I generally add about 1/8 tsp of wyeast nutrient to my starter anyway. Yeast nutrient is pretty cheap, and with a quality brand you know the yeast are getting a good head start nutrient wise.

I also never heard of the wheat being higher in nutrients. Light DME is the most versatile as it will bring the least flavor component into whatever you are brewing. As to the nutrients, I generally add about 1/8 tsp of wyeast nutrient to my starter anyway. Yeast nutrient is pretty cheap, and with a quality brand you know the yeast are getting a good head start nutrient wise.

Good point. I forgot to mention this about the nutrient. I add this also and like Zen said, yeast nutrient is very inexpensive.

Thanks all. I didnt worry about it too much. I just use whatever I have, but it is one of those questions that I have wondered about since I heard it. I figured if there was any truth to it someone here would know.

Thats good to know. I have some wheat dme laying around and wasnt sure about using it in a non-wheat starter.... maybe Ill try it now. Anyone have a reason not to use it?

Back