Which conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillip_h

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a SS conical in the next couple of weeks. I was initially planning to get an SS Brewtech brewmaster's edition with the built-in immersion coils for temp control, but I'm wondering if it'd be more economical to go with the regular version and use a cool jacket for temp control.

What would you do?

I can't speak too much to the immersion coil approach, although with that you still need to find some way to provide coiling water... I have a conical (although currently for sale since I'm downsizing) and I got a cheap upright freezer from CL and combined that with a DIY brewpi setup for both cooling and heating temp control and that works great. It's probably a wash in terms of cost, but with the approach I took, you wouldn't need to worry about manually adding cold water or cleaning that coil!

what size batches do you do?

will you collect yeast?

do you actually need all the features of a conical?

In short, If I was buying my first in the next 3 months, I'd choose between Spike and SS BT. I'd lean towards SSBT because they are available for shipment.

I like my 14 gallon BME conical from SS BT. Cleaning is pretty easy, even the coils since I fill so that krausen is usually above the coil line. Just soak and rinse a couple of times.

You didn't say whether your doing 5 gallon or 10 gallon batches? I know lots of people love their 7 gallon conical's but it doesn't seem very cost effective to me since a 14 gallon conical is only about $100 to $125 more. If your at 5 gallons and want stainless, brewbuckets might be a good option.

Spike will release their updated conical soon. Blichmann conicals don't seem to get talked about much lately. If they do a refresh, they could be interesting again.

I currently do 5 gallon batches, but I want the option of doing 10 gallon batches.

I want to harvest yeast. I have tried it in my speidel fermenters but it doesn't work out.

I want to be able to dump the trub after a couple of days, and I want a better way to take samples. I want to be able to do pressurized transfers, and I want to be able to dry hop without oxidizing my beer.

Another issue is the wife acceptance factor. I can get away with a cool shiny conical, but I don't think she'll want another crappy-looking old fridge.

I'm kind of on the fence between the 7 and 14 gallon SSB conicals. I would like the option of doing 10 gallon batches, but I'm not sure that I would ever actually do it.

I currently do 5 gallon batches, but I want the option of doing 10 gallon batches.

I want to harvest yeast. I have tried it in my speidel fermenters but it doesn't work out.

I want to be able to dump the trub after a couple of days, and I want a better way to take samples. I want to be able to do pressurized transfers, and I want to be able to dry hop without oxidizing my beer.

Another issue is the wife acceptance factor. I can get away with a cool shiny conical, but I don't think she'll want another crappy-looking old fridge.

Brewers Hardware conicals will do what you want to do. I'm more than pleased with the 14 gallon non-jacketed conical from them.

I get the fridge factor..... Lot's of members love them .... effective for sure, but ugly at it's best and not very portable. If you or your wife have strong convictions about fridges ...... a coil, controller, pumps, water chiller and cold water storage is the option for you. I hate to be a downer but don't under estimate the equipment you need to buy in addition to a SS BT BME. You'll need there FTSS (or self engineered equivalent), a water chiller, a cold water pump, and cooler to store cold water. Probably an additional $300 to $600. To do all this for a single 7 gallon, is a tough call.

In this thread I put some pics that show how I accomplished this to give you a sense of the "stuff" you'll need. Note that i'm set-up for 3 simultaneous fermentations.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=590952&page=2

As a habit, 6 gallons in a 14 gallon conical isn't going to work for you. You should consider a smaller conical or brew bucket.

I already have a submersible pump and a temperature controller, so I shouldn't need the FTSs. I'm planning to use a cooler and switch out frozen water jugs. I only brew ales, so I don't need to get super cold.

I already have a submersible pump and a temperature controller, so I shouldn't need the FTSs. I'm planning to use a cooler and switch out frozen water jugs. I only brew ales, so I don't need to get super cold.

dont underestimate how heavy a 14g conical will be either... thats not something i would try moving on my own.

im using brew buckets from ss at the moment and i friggin love it.

I move a 14g conical. Not easy. I use a cart to wheel it to my freezer. Then lift/slide it in. It is heavy and I am a big person.

dont underestimate how heavy a 14g conical will be either... thats not something i would try moving on my own.

im using brew buckets from ss at the moment and i friggin love it.

There's no way that I would try to move one of those things when full unless it's on casters. I definitely wouldn't want to lift it into a fridge.

Agreed... my 14gal sits in the fermenter freezer and only gets moved when empty for cleaning. Luckily I run a 15 foot hose from my rig to the fermenter to fill. Would not ever want to try and move when full.

So you want to upgrade to a conical for the various reasons provided
(all very good reasons IMO) but you are planning on a somewhat primitive temperature control using frozen water jugs? Don't get me wrong, I did the frozen water jug thing for years before getting a freezer for fermenting, and it works fine, but its kind of a PITA. New Upright freezers are actually pretty cheap, you don't have to settle for a junky looking old one.
Seems to me if you are going to spend the money for a new conical, you might as well get a freezer as well. And if you want to get rid of it, you can always sell it on Craigslist.

So you want to upgrade to a conical for the various reasons provided
(all very good reasons IMO) but you are planning on a somewhat primitive temperature control using frozen water jugs? Don't get me wrong, I did the frozen water jug thing for years before getting a freezer for fermenting, and it works fine, but its kind of a PITA. New Upright freezers are actually pretty cheap, you don't have to settle for a junky looking old one.
Seems to me if you are going to spend the money for a new conical, you might as well get a freezer as well. And if you want to get rid of it, you can always sell it on Craigslist.

Well, I'm planning to implement some kind of water/glycol chiller in the near future. Either an aquarium water chiller or a DIY glycol tank.

If you don't want to use a fridge, get the BME or wait for Spike's. Having ball valves to take apart and clean is annoying.

The 14g has legs threaded for casters. I got some casters for 12$ off amazon and I love not having to carry a fermenter. In fact, the casters are my favorite part of having a conical. Saving yeast and all that sounds nice, but I almost never do it. It's easier to overbuild a starter instead, as it's not a good idea to save yeast from really hoppy or high gravity beers.

Well, I'm planning to implement some kind of water/glycol chiller in the near future. Either an aquarium water chiller or a DIY glycol tank.

If the current SWMBO objects to the appearance of an old freezer, she probably won't like the way a home made glycol chiller looks either.
My experience is that if "mama ain't happy" then no one is happy.

If the current SWMBO objects to the appearance of an old freezer, she probably won't like the way a home made glycol chiller looks either.
My experience is that if "mama ain't happy" then no one is happy.

a chiller is a lot smaller and easier to hide under a table or in a cabinet though...

out of my conicals I like this one,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-5G-Conic...312452?hash=item33c5f22384:g:YhEAAOSwcBhWWI3m

been using it a few years now and its nice with lots of cooling options..

this one is a bit less expensive and has a temp probe port.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...495988?hash=item4afe53f8f4:g:ZBkAAOSwvgdW3drc

if you bought either of these and decided the ball valves were too much to unscrew and clean then you could buy butterfly valves for $35 each shipped and I bet still come out spending less that the spike conical will cost just based on the cost of their old conicals vs these. your choice of course... spike will have a stainless coil inside for chilling at an additional cost.. I like the external jacket options myself, just easier to keep clean.

Auggie, I have a very similar one from moonshine distiller. It holds fermentation pressure, but leaks when a do a pressure transfer, even at 1 or less psi. It has the exact sealing mechanics, two gaskets, top bar and screw.

Do yours hold?

Auggie, I have a very similar one from moonshine distiller. It holds fermentation pressure, but leaks when a do a pressure transfer, even at 1 or less psi. It has the exact sealing mechanics, two gaskets, top bar and screw.

Do yours hold?

Mine held ok when I tried it twice but since my conicals are up on a countertop I just drain them via gravity now... I honestly did not see any improvement in the beer by doing g a pressure transfer under co2 pressure so I stopped doing it.

Besides my 12 5 gallon I have an 8 gallon generic stout clone which is similiar to the moonshine distillers I linked above but it doesn't have the TC fitting in the lid.
I also have a Chinese clone of the older American made ones spike used to source from Toledo metal spinning who also makes them for blichmann.. The one seals great but I did have a stuck blowoff once and it leaked out of the seal under some serious pressure.

Back