which carboy to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNye

Reaction score
I've decided on a 6.5 glass carboy for primary and originally planned on one for secondary. I figured why not spend the extra couple dollars to have more volume and therefore more future options. I could see these being used as secondary and use 7 gallon buckets for primary down the line.

I've finished Palmer's book and he recommends less head space in secondary.
Now that would mean I need to get a 5 gallon for secondary. I'm ready to place an order and this is the sticking point. Would it be that big of a deal to secondary in the 6.5 with 5 gallon batches? Or if I get the 5 gallon will it become less useful down the line or is this not going to be a problem?

I did it all with a 5 gal carboy for some time, but have now switched to using a 6.5 gal bucket for the primary to avoid losing beer during the blow off. Last batch in the 5 gallon carboy, I lost over a gallon of the good stuff. In the 6.5 gal bucket I lose nothing, and the buckets are cheap. I transfer to the 5 gal carboy for the secondary and add water if needed to get it up to the neck to reduce head space as Palmer recommends. I would recommend this system to all new brewers. It is very simple. If I were to hold the beer in the primary for more than a week, and did not want the blowoff, then I would consider the 6.5 gal carboy.

in secondary you will want as little head space as possible so you can cut down on air getting to the beer. I would highly suggest 2 6.5 gallons and one 5 gallon. The 6.5 gallon "acid" carboys will hold 7.5 gallons up the the very top. There are also plain 6 gallon carboys.

Back