Which Burner Should I Buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
I'm ready to replace my existing burner with a new one. I have been shopping around and found two models that I like. I can't decide which would be best. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Choice A: Hurricane Burner - 60k BTU - $98.99

Choice B: Bayou Classic - 210k BTU - $77.99

The burner I have now is like THIS ONE and I'm not sure what the BTU rating on it is, but I'm fairly sure it's at least 60k and maybe higher.

I guess my questions regarding the two choices I'm looking at are whether or not it's advantageous to have 210k BTU instead of 60k and whether or not the 210k consumes a disproportional amount of propane...

Both are great, i use three of the classic's on my rig boil's 8 gal in about 25min

but whatever you do dont by anything made by KingKooker its crap!

Thanks for the feedback. I have read through all of these threads now. I did learn that the Banjo Burner probably uses too much propane. I definitely don't want to burn up a full tank on a single brew. The Hurricane Burner is looking more appealing. I'll probably buy one and see how it goes. If I don't like it, I'll try something else. I'm only making 5-gallon batches and I don't intend to change that any time soon, so 210k BTU is probably an overkill for me. I wish the Hurricane Burner was a little less expensive though, but I'll just save my pennies for a few weeks longer and order one :)

I bought a hurricane because it can be easily converted to natural gas and I plan to do that soon. I do ten gallon batches and I am really glad that I didn't go any bigger because it has plenty of BTUs.

I had a camp Chef cook stove which put out great heat, but got tired of refilling propane bottles (and it costs more). When I hooked up to my house propane, the fire was very weak. Then I researched and read many threads here. House propane pressure is extremely low. The Hurrican is a low pressure burner (about .5 psi), but comes with the appropriate regulator (blue color) to reduce portable tank psi down to .5 psi. So I hook up to my house without the regulator and it works great, tremendous heat. But if I was on propane bottles, i probably would get the other burner (I think they are at 10 psi) because you just turn the heat down and the burner is cheaper.

Now I'm wishing I hadn't asked this question... lol

I guess my research needs to move on to find out whether or not the Banjo Burner (210k BTU) actually uses too much propane or not. I can't seem to find anyone who has first hand experience with both units..

I have 3 like the ones you are currently using. They are rated at 170,000 BTU, but I have seen the same burner rated at as low as 60k. I think it has to do with the jet size. I can manage to get 3- 10G batches from one tank, if I'm not in a big hurry to boil(20mins VS 35 mins). I big part of the heat rating is the distance between burner and kettle. Too far away and you are losing heat, too close and it is an inefficient burn, wasting gas. You want the kettle to be just at the tip of the flame. I replaced the center screw with longer ones and used a double nut setup to allow me to adjust the burner height.
Those burners are available at Agrisupply for $7.95 ea

I have the hurricane and love it. I got 5 batches out of a tank of propane. Since it is low pressure the flame is very easy to adjust. The low pressure also means you can convert it to natural gas with a $6.25 valve.

Now I'm wishing I hadn't asked this question... lol

I guess my research needs to move on to find out whether or not the Banjo Burner (210k BTU) actually uses too much propane or not. I can't seem to find anyone who has first hand experience with both units..

BTU's are directly proportional to propane usage. Anything more than 60k on a 5gallon boil is a waste energy. With a very low flame I can get 5 gallons of water to boil in ~ 20 min with the hurricane. With 210k BTU you could do it faster, but you will be wasting a lot of energy and you would most likely crank to flame back to little more than 60k BTU anyway (a small flame is more efficient than a big one). When you upgrade to 10gal or a 15 gal keggle you will appreciate the extra power.

In summary get either one, and you will be happy.

Now I remember what it was I didn't like about the SQ14... It doesn't have a wind screen around the burner. I think I'm gonna go with the Hurricane Burner for that reason alone. Unfortunately, the Hurricane is the most expensive option :)

Now I remember what it was I didn't like about the SQ14... It doesn't have a wind screen around the burner. I think I'm gonna go with the Hurricane Burner for that reason alone. Unfortunately, the Hurricane is the most expensive option :)

The Hurricane doesn't really have one either. This can be easily fixed by attaching aluminum foil from the top of the stand to the bottom around the whole burner. If you want something a little nicer you can wrap a piece of sheet metal around the outside for ~$10. The stand is 12" high 36" around, and Lowes conveniently sell 22 gauge steel in 12"x18" pieces

Check out this solution >> https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1373756-post16.html

The Home Depot in my area did not have the pipe though. :(

Wind is not generally a problem for me except for possibly February and March brews. In order to solve that problem, I'm gonna move the brewing into the garage on those cold and blustery days I think. Back in February, I had a brew day where I tried to use a turkey fryer burner that my parents gave me just to try it out, and the wind was bad enough that I could never get a good rolling boil going, and the wind blew out the flame several times.

IMO the Hurricane can't be beat. Good BTU output, runs equally well on NG or propane and can be switched fast and cheaply.

I'd have to think that there is a limit to how many BTUs the small square footage of a typical kettle/keg can absorb and I betting that most of the really powerful burners just blow wasted BTUs into the atmosphere.

Mike

You can make your own burner sheild very easily. My LHBS has a supply of cornies that would not hold pressure due to a bent lip or pinholes. I used one and cut 3 sheilds out of it. Sheet metal screws secure it to the stand. They have worked great and I have brewed in winds that have blown my canopy away. As the others have said with the higher BTU burners you will never open them all the way, but the extra is nice to have for brewing in very cold or windy situations that require more heat.

IMO, it's pointless to ask for opinions on burners, mills, themometers, pumps and even entire systems because with only the rare exception everyone loves whatever they bought and will usually swear tha it will perform equally or better than anything else whether or not it actually does. I guess human nature and egos sometimes get in the way of realistic evaluations.

Back