Power differences in gas burners between US and EU/limited availability of high power gas burners in UK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebjamin

Reaction score
So I bought one of these recently (ANVIL FORGE BURNER - ships with UK compatible propane adapter) - rated as 11.4kw (39,000 BTU/hr) on the website (yet seemingly 21kw in the URL slug)

And on the manufacturer's website, it's listed as 80,000 BTU/hr (Anvil Forge™ Burner | Forge Your Next Brew!)

On receiving the unit I noticed that the variable regulator has been swapped for a fixed regulator, and while it's marginally better than my previous burner, it's still takes a good 30+ minutes to go from mash out to boiling, and I never really get a good rolling boil with a 5 gal batch.

I have a feeling we're being ripped off a bit here - don't have any evidence but wouldn't be surprised if there's an EU directive or something stating a max power of gas burners which means suppliers have to downrate the units for the EU market... (and also perhaps why no UK brew suppliers sell anything more powerful).

Anyway, I'm off to find an adjustable regulator so I get 100% of the power I paid for - if anyone has any experience/tips for that would gratefully receive them.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back