Which Amber Ale to Get? NB or Morebeer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

postman

Reaction score
Brewers,

Just looking for reviews on American Amber Ales. There are three I'm looking into for my next extract brew. One is at Northern Brewer and two are at Morebeer. Those who have tried what do you think? I'm going to try to hyperlink these below.

1). Northern Brewer
2). Morebeer
3). Morebeer 2

If you did go with these beers, what yeast did you use? I've ordered from Northern Brewer mostly, then recently from Midwest, so I don't have experience with morebeer kits. Just looking for a little advice fellas. Thanks.

As I type, I'm enjoying a Northern Brewer Extra Pale Ale. Mmmmmm.

I've done More Beer's Amber, it isn't bad. My advice is get 1# of 40 crystal and and maybe .5# carapils and add to the steep, it'll add body and head retention. Most extract kits IMO are a little shy of steeping grains. I've started making my own kits, just getting DME/LME and adding the grains and hops I think will work, loads of recipe ideas on this site alone, and many more elsewhere. It ends up being cheaper and you get better beer than using the basic extract or mini mash kits. I've never tried the Northern Brewer Amber, but I can tell you I like Austin's amber and most people that come over like it, usually the first keg to get killed. It comes with plenty of grain in a muslin bag to make a basic amber, nice and easy. If you want a better amber check out the recipes and make up your own. :D

Here's another amber ale recipe from someone whose recipes I trust (haven't tried this particular one yet, but it looks good):

Jamil's American Amber (extract w/ grains)

OG 1.052
FG 1.013
IBU: 35
ABV: 5.1%
Boil: 60 min

Extract:
6.6 lbs English Pale Ale LME (3.5*L) 72.9%
0.7 lb Munich LME (9*L) 7.7%

Steeping grains:
0.75 lb Crystal 40 8.3%
0.5 lb Crystal 120 5.5%
0.5 lb Victory (28*L) 5.5%

Hops:
0.6 oz Horizon 13% 60 min 31.7 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade 6% 10 min 1.2 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial 9% 10 min 1.8 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade 6% 0 min
0.25 oz Centennial 9% 0 min

Yeast:
WLP001, Wyeast 1056, or US-05

Ferment at 67F.

Carbonate to 2-2.5 volumes.

I really enjoyed the Amber Ale kit that Midwestern has. I always used Safale US-05 for the yeast.

Just put your fermenter in a big ol' tub of about 6 or 8 inches of water, put a t-shirt on it to wick the water up, and aim a fan at it. :)

Thanks guys. When building individual recipes, doesn't it start getting expensive b/c you can only buy in certain increments. For example, Jamil's recipe calls for 0.7 lbs of Munich LME, which is difficult to purchase in that amount. I imagine you need to purchase 3 lbs perhaps and then have leftover to store. I don't mind ending up with extra hops though, I can always find a use for them.

I bought the all grain version from NB and it was jacked up. Ingredients were all wrong and when I called them they acted like it was no big deal. I will never buy a kit from them again. You get what you pay for, cheaper isn't always better.

I hate it when websites sell kits without giving the recipe. (morebeer) I need to know what I'm buying. With northern brewer I'm able to find a kit that has the foundation to be built into a completely different recipe. I got the scottish 60 and with the addition of a few pounds of base malt and specialty grains, another ounce of hops, and a yeast swap, I'm making my pumpkin ale. I always order from northern brewer and I've never had anything messed up except they have thrown in extra priming sugar and my dad got an extra smack pack from them, but I'm not complaining.

AHS lets you buy grain by the pound, More Beer does also. More often than not I round it up to the nearest pound with no ill results. I see beer recipes as guidelines only, same with food recipes. I very rarely follow them verbatim.

Back