Wheres the nutty taste coming from ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebrewin

Reaction score
image-903981958.jpg image-2500033614.jpg So that's the grain bill. It has a very nutty flavor and I was wondering if it's the amount of victory in it? Or if it's the yeast or something I'm doing wrong..

Victory does have some nutty, biscuity and toasty character. So that's probably where you pick it up. But that's a small percentage of the grain bill. You have a good palate and nose!

S05 is pretty neutral and wouldn't really leave a nutty taste. Are you saying it's very strong? Do you like the nutty taste?

The Victory could add the nutty taste but in that small of percentage I would think it would be very subtle. What Pale Malt did you use? Some pale malts can have a nutty a flavor, much more so than say a brewers malt. I used Rahr Pale Ale malt before and it definitely does have a nutty taste, much more so than Weyermann or Dingemans. Briess pale ale malt also has a nutty flavor.
This is one of the reasons I switched to Brewers Malt vs pale ale and pale ale has a more grainy taste than the lighter brewers malt. In brews that need pale ale malt I always go for Maris Otter.

Agreed, probably from the Victory but 2 row can also have a grain flavor. Vienna malt also has that biscuit nut flavor. You might try subbing in Munich malt instead, it's a little more sweet and less "bready" than ether victory or Vienna.

So it was briess pale malt that I used. So it's probably a combination of both the victory and the briess which explains why the next brew I did still had a nutty taste but not so strong. I switched the briess pale to golden promise but still had victory in the bill.

Just to clarify I don't like the nutty taste and even if I did it was too overpowering in the above brew.

Below is the most recent batch I did with the help of a good mate who brought his mill and grains over and has been doing it for quite some time. And as I said above we changed the briess out for Maris otter. It still had victory in the bill but the nutty flavour was reduced. Next step I think is to rubbish the victory !

image-1275992624.jpg image-886792289.jpg

Back