Where's the mead making sticky?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerkench

Reaction score
Am I blind? There was a great sticky on mead making covering all the basics. It seems to have gone.

Am I blind? There was a great sticky on mead making covering all the basics. It seems to have gone.

Hightest had it on a server that suddenly went "pay" and dropped it without notice, from what I understand. We're working on collecting his files (with his permission of course!) and are attempting to fix and recreate it.

Ok, looking forward to its return. I've got myself a load of honey!

Agree with beerkench! Great write up. Thank you.

May I ask for some elaboration on oxidation with regard to fruit? Thank you!

-Pao

It is always best to have minimal headspace and full airlocks after primary fermentation. This is especially true for fruit. It takes a lot of oxygen to oxidize a honey only mead, but very little to oxidize a fruit mead. Is that what you were asking?

It is always best to have minimal headspace and full airlocks after primary fermentation. This is especially true for fruit. It takes a lot of oxygen to oxidize a honey only mead, but very little to oxidize a fruit mead. Is that what you were asking?

Yeah. I for some reason in my research missed the whole oxidation part and headspace constraints. Before I first started, a friend told me to measure out a gallon in my glass carboy and transfer the liquid to my bucket and mark it so that I don't put too much fluid in my bucket as to not overflow my jug during 1st rack. (2 gal bucket, 1 gal jug). So now.. I've got 1 gallon of fluid... which leaves room in my jug. How much head space is too much?

Evernote%20Snapshot%2020151125%20185618.jpg

Back