wheres the best place to find bulk malt extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I jus stumbled upon youcanbrewit.com they sell bulk malt extract pretty cheap but they seem to have a limited variety..any suggestiins?

When I was first brewing, my LHBS carried buld malt extract in 55gal drums. He had three varieties, I think. Plus, if you brought your own container, you got a little discount. However, this had problems since I think he used nitrogen to dispense and if he didn't turn over the product quick enough, it either got moldy or crystalized; I really don't remember. Is that what you were talking about?

I have three LHBS near me, but the one I like to go to in particular, (because the couple that owns it is super cool and super nice), has tons of canned malt extract and many varieties of DME. And on the odd chance they don't have it, they'll order it. The owner has also helped me in the past look at a recipe and help convert it from liquid extract to DME, (I've since become a DME fan).

So, my advice is to check out your LHBS if you have any near you and talk to them. Extract is a liquid and heavy and costs more $$$ to ship. I have found that buying kits online might save a couple of bucks here and there, but you'll have to pay shipping and that typically comes out to a few dollars more than what the same kit would cost at my LHBS.

The cheapest I have ever paid for extract was from North Country Malts. They sell 50# bags of DME for ~$98 and it is about $20 for shipping.

The cheapest I have ever paid for extract was from North Country Malts. They sell 50# bags of DME for ~$98 and it is about $20 for shipping.

that's not bad at all. I'd do $120 for a 50 lb bag. better than the $4 a lb we have here at my LHBS

If I hadnt found that good of a deal on DME, I would have gone AG A LOT sooner lol

Austinhomebrew n brewcandoit sell dry extract abiut $2-4 a lb rhey have about 12 different varieties but stillhaving problems finding vienna or munichgrains or extracts

If I hadnt found that good of a deal on DME, I would have gone AG A LOT sooner lol

yeah, unfortunately they don't sell to home brewers anymore :(, cheapest I've found is about $150-$160 for a bulk 50 lb bag... which isn't much less than what I get from my local shop per pound.

I have three LHBS near me, but the one I like to go to in particular, (because the couple that owns it is super cool and super nice),

Really off topic, so sorry to thread jack, but Rick and Peggy sold the store. She will still work there for some time, and the new owner is a nice guy.

natureceremony said:
I jus stumbled upon youcanbrewit.com they sell bulk malt extract pretty cheap but they seem to have a limited variety..any suggestiins?

Get in on a group buy in your area. You can get it for 2.50/ lb for a 50 lb sack that way.

Do you have to have it shipped on a pallet to get that sort of shipping price?

hmmm, time to see if any tucson brewers do group buys.

I think there's one in Phx but that's a haul roundtrip. Would probably need a very big order to make the trip worth it.

I lived in Tucson for 15 years. Love it there. You shop at Brew Your Own Brew? I got started there.

I think there's one in Phx but that's a haul roundtrip. Would probably need a very big order to make the trip worth it.

I lived in Tucson for 15 years. Love it there. You shop at Brew Your Own Brew? I got started there.

lol, yup, I got the northern brewer starter kit on fathers day (5 gallon kettle, one extract kit and their basic starter kit all for $76 shipped)... and then I buy all my supplies at Brew your own brew. very very nice guys there. ALWAYS willing to go the extra mile for you

lol, yup, I got the northern brewer starter kit on fathers day (5 gallon kettle, one extract kit and their basic starter kit all for $76 shipped)... and then I buy all my supplies at Brew your own brew. very very nice guys there. ALWAYS willing to go the extra mile for you

Hah, small world!

I really liked their old Bumble kit brewed with mesquite honey, the san pedro nut brown, the Francisco hef (still use that recipe to this day), and their Double IPA. You're right, they're a good business and have pretty good prices.

How do you keep the carboys cool in that heat?

Hah, small world!

I really liked their old Bumble kit brewed with mesquite honey, the san pedro nut brown, the Francisco hef (still use that recipe to this day), and their Double IPA. You're right, they're a good business and have pretty good prices.

How do you keep the carboys cool in that heat?

never tried their kits out actually. I jumped straight into recipes from this site and just buy the ingredients there.

as for carboys... Rope tub filled with water, submerge the ale pail in the water up to the neck and swap out 2-3 two liter ice bottles a couple times a day

Do you brew with Tucson tap water?

I'm on Oro Valley Water , but yes, I brew straight out of the tap, my top off water (since I do partial boil) is just boiled tap water that I stuck in the fridge the night before to cool it down.

Hah my parents live in Oro Valley, off Naranja. Brewed at their place this past summer with the tap water but fermented a bit on the hot side.
Miss the views of the Catalinas from up there!

Hah my parents live in Oro Valley, off Naranja. Brewed at their place this past summer with the tap water but fermented a bit on the hot side.
Miss the views of the Catalinas from up there!

ahhh, I know where that is. I"m TECHNICALLY in Marana but Oro Valley Water has their claws in us (they're so much higher than Tucson Water), I live right up by Mountain view High school on Thornydale.

and yeah, fermenting on the hot side is a pain in summer. that's why I'm lucky my wife works at home and can switch out frozen two liters in the rope tub while I'm gone to keep temps down. luckily we have the PERFECT weather to brew saisons :D

This thread is a little old, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents in case anyone is looking for a good deal on bulk malt. I just purchased 2 33 lb containers of Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract for $88 from GW Kent. The shipping was $34.18, totaling $122.18 for 66 lbs. That's $1.85/lb. This is the most cost effective I have found. It's great to be brewing 5 gallon extract batches for under $20 again...

Cheers

This thread is a little old, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents in case anyone is looking for a good deal on bulk malt. I just purchased 2 33 lb containers of Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract for $88 from GW Kent. The shipping was $34.18, totaling $122.18 for 66 lbs. That's $1.85/lb. This is the most cost effective I have found. It's great to be brewing 5 gallon extract batches for under $20 again...

Cheers

Looks like they also have 50lb sacks of Briess Golden DME for $110 + ~ $30 shipping. So actually about the same as Northern Brewer, which is currently charging $135 + $8 shipping for 50 lb sacks of Briess DME.

{EDIT}after poking around a bit more I found River City Homebrew, their webstore looks a little funky but they appear to be a legit operation, and are selling 1 lb bags of various DME for $2.95 with free shipping. Hard to argue with that price, pretty close to what you'd pay buying in bulk without the hassle. I just ordered 15lbs of Light Briess DME (plus some caps), hopefully all will go smoothly!

[EDIT 2]their website was broken, no free shipping after all, and the link above is no longer their preferred webstore (though seemingly still fully functional except for the shipping calculator), they pointed me to DZYP.COM instead.

Looks like they also have 50lb sacks of Briess Golden DME for $110 + ~ $30 shipping. So actually about the same as Northern Brewer, which is currently charging $135 + $8 shipping for 50 lb sacks of Briess DME.

{EDIT} after poking around a bit more I found River City Homebrew, their webstore looks a little funky but they appear to be a legit operation, and are selling 1 lb bags of various DME for $2.95 with free shipping. Hard to argue with that price, pretty close to what you'd pay buying in bulk without the hassle. I just ordered 15lbs of Light Briess DME (plus some caps), hopefully all will go smoothly!

I don't see the free shipping part, during check out you have options as to shipping method but all are around $15 just for 6 pounds of dry malt extract?:eek:

I don't see the free shipping part, during check out you have options as to shipping method but all are around $15 just for 6 pounds of dry malt extract?:eek:

Huh -- when I checked out I selected USPS Parcel Post and it showed no charge. Maybe that was some kind of error with their web store (it did display pretty oddly, at least on my Mac using Firefox). At any rate I wasn't charged anything for shipping, so I guess I'll see if they send it to me or if I get a phone call saying there was an error.

[EDIT] Using IE on a PC this time (web store does look better on IE), signed in and added 10 bags of Briess Light DME to my cart, and again I see no charge for USPS Parcel Post. It looks like something odd is going on with the store since it shows the cost as "USPS84333>DEST", but in the cost totals to the right it shows $0 for shipping, and I wasn't charged anything for shipping when I checked out.

[EDIT 2] their website was broken, no free shipping after all, and the link above is no longer their preferred webstore (though seemingly still fully functional except for the shipping calculator), they pointed me to DZYP.COM instead.

Huh -- when I checked out I selected USPS Parcel Post and it showed no charge. Maybe that was some kind of error with their web store (it did display pretty oddly, at least on my Mac using Firefox). At any rate I wasn't charged anything for shipping, so I guess I'll see if they send it to me or if I get a phone call saying there was an error.

[EDIT] Using IE on a PC this time (web store does look better on IE), signed in and added 10 bags of Briess Light DME to my cart, and again I see no charge for USPS Parcel Post. It looks like something odd is going on with the store since it shows the cost as "USPS84333>DEST", but in the cost totals to the right it shows $0 for shipping, and I wasn't charged anything for shipping when I checked out.

I gave it another try and it seems like this time it offers free usps shipping, boy if that is true I will buy from these folks. Thanks for the heads-up on this site. :mug:

I gave it another try and it seems like this time it offers free usps shipping, boy if that is true I will buy from these folks. Thanks for the heads-up on this site. :mug:

Bad news, no free shipping. I got an updated invoice from them today with any extra $11.50 added for Priority 2-Day shipping, which was immediately charged to my card and the shipment sent without further discussion [EDIT: see below, I was mistaken about them having shipped immediately]. I get that these things happen, especially when dealing with a small business, and I'm not mad that I didn't get the super-cheap price on the DME. But I'm also not thrilled that I was charged the higher amount without a confirmation email/call. In any event, for my order with the retroactive shipping it ended up coming out about the same as ordering 3lb bags of Briess from Northern Brewer.

They also emailed me the link to their new website, which is DZYP.COM. Looks similar to the old one but presumably the shipping calculator is fixed.

[EDIT] I responded to River City saying I wasn't really happy about being charged more w/o notice, and they immediately canceled the order and reversed the charges (I misunderstood their email and thought they'd already shipped, so figured this wasn't even an option). So overall I'm happy with the way this was handled and would say they were very responsive to my communications, and I wouldn't hesitate to deal with them again (especially if you're local to them, their prices look great if you don't have to pay shipping).

I started buying 6 packs of the 6 lb jugs of Gold LME from Midwest. $79.99 (basically one jug is free), and they have free shipping on orders over $59. Not too bad.

I only wish you could mix and match different extracts to make up your 6 pack. I'd love it if I could switch out one or two jugs of Gold for some Wheat LME.

Back