Where to go in Portland?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afro_lou

Wait, what?
Reaction score
I'm on a plane to Portland, what are the "don't miss" breweries/pubs around the downtown area?

Thanks!

Widmer Bros has a brewpub by the brewery, 929 N Russell St, Portland, OR 97227, Bridgeport Brewpub 1313 NW Marshall St, Portland, OR 97209, and any of the McMennamin's are great. But really, there are so many here it is hard to list them all.

They're all pretty good. Cascade Barrel House is my only MUST GO, however. They have fantastic sours. Deschutes is probably one of the best food-wise. Laurelwood has a mean IPA.

I would say you could stand to miss Widmer, Bridgeport, and McMenamin's (just to give a different opinion!). Horse Brass, Green Dragon, Cascade, and Belmont Station are great places to get a wide range of unique beers. (They're on the East Side, but you can get to all of them with the #14 bus from downtown.)

If you stop by Green Dragon ask them what's on tap #19 in the front. It's their secret tap and they usually have something delicious on.

Gigantic Brewing, HUB, the Commons, Breakside are all great breweries and Apex is a pretty awesome bottle shop.

And definitely hit up Cascade if your a sour fan. They're right across the street from the Green Dragon so you can get two birds stoned at once. Belmont was one of my go-tos when I lived in Portland, always a great selection of bottles.

Cheers!

I'd add Burnside, Hair of the Dog, and Breakside to the list, too. Bailey's Taproom downtown is pretty rad and it's next to Mary's, a PDX institution.

Thanks for all the replies! I've got a few days here, so I'm trying my best to hit up the good ones.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the replies! I've got a few days here, so I'm trying my best to hit up the good ones.

Cheers!

Cascade Barrel House, Ecliptic, Upright, HUB, Laurelwood, and Breakside are well worth a visit.

It's also Portland Dining Month where a ton of restaurants offer 3 course meals for $29. If you like Latin/South American don't miss Andinas. If you like Southern food hit up Screen Door - get there early though by the time they open there is an hour long line! :drunk:

Take advantage of the awesome weather this weekend and drive out to the Columbia River Gorge. Epic waterfalls (largest continuous water fall east of the Mississippi!) and enjoy a beer at the lodge.

In my opinion McMenamins is not worth a trip unless you are spending the night there. Widmer is only worth a visit if you take the tour.

Have fun and if you find yourself near a Waffle Window get a savory or desert waffle.

:mug:

Baerlic, Commons, Cascade Barrel House, Green Dragon, Base Camp, Hair of the Dog, (and probably a couple more that opened in the last week that I'm forgetting, haha) are all within walking distance of each other in the warehouse district between 12th and the river in SE. You can't go wrong with that group.

Cascade Barrel House for sours; Laurelwood for IPAs; Breakside for a wide range and good food with some interesting beers with culinary influences; The Commons doesn't make a bad beer and makes 2 awesome beers: Urban Farmhouse and Myrtle; Hair of the Dog for strong and barrel aged beers with great food; Hopworks for a wide range of beers and food with an eco-friendly and Portland vibe. Ecliptic is also worth checking out.
Don't bother with McMenamin's except for their historic buildings, and Widmer and Bridgeport aren't worth it for an out of town visitor. The only "big" brewery worth checking out is Deschutes' brewpub in the Pearl.
For bottle shops and taphouses Belmont Station, Green Dragon, Apex, Beermongers, Imperial Taproom, and Bailey's are worth visiting.

Dude - do this to get a killer growler. My wife and I each picked one up.

Download the chinookbook app, then go to HUB and they'll give you a 32 oz ceramic growler that costs about $60 to buy new.

Info is here:

http://www.travelportland.com/article/deal-wheel/

(picture of the growler is here too).

You'll need a code to activate that you should be able to get from your hotel. If you don't get the code from your hotel...PM me.

Latest posts

Back