where to get good hops seeds?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gagunga

Reaction score
I know I can just google this but I'd rather ask the experts (you guys). I wanted to grow some hops on my 2 acres of land. I was thinking citra or good ol' cascade. Where would be the best and most cost effective place to get these seeds? Is there a popular/trustworthy website that you guys get yours from, or do you get them locally? Also, would it be better to buy plants already started or are the seeds quite resilient?

I haven't grown hops, but it is my understanding that you will need to purchase shoots rather than seeds. I think that the shoots come from hundreds of years of genetically the same plant. That is why you can count on the hops coming out a certain way for that particular type of hop.

First off I believe Citra is trademarked so other growers cannot get their hands on it. This includes home brewers. Simcoe is another I believe is trademarked too.

You will need to get rhizomes or plants to grow hops. I have not seen any place that sells seeds. I grow Chinook and Centennial which I picked up the rhizomes from a local hop farmer about 10 minutes away. You could check to see if any local hop farms is trimming back their crowns and you could purchase the rhizomes from them. You can order hop plants from Great Lakes Hops, which I plan to do early spring.

Rhizomes go on sale I believe in the spring from places like Farmhouse, MoreBeer, Northern Brewer, Williams Brewing, etc...

First off I believe Citra is trademarked so other growers cannot get their hands on it. This includes home brewers. Simcoe is another I believe is trademarked too.

You will need to get rhizomes or plants to grow hops. I have not seen any place that sells seeds. I grow Chinook and Centennial which I picked up the rhizomes from a local hop farmer about 10 minutes away. You could check to see if any local hop farms is trimming back their crowns and you could purchase the rhizomes from them. You can order hop plants from Great Lakes Hops, which I plan to do early spring.

Rhizomes go on sale I believe in the spring from places like Farmhouse, MoreBeer, Northern Brewer, Williams Brewing, etc...

Small world. I work in Canandaigua. Lol I know there's a few hops farmers in our neck of the woods. A big one in flint. Might have to stop in and bug em to sell me some rhiz. Are the farmers you went to in our area enthusiastic about selling them? Just didn't know how protective hops farmers are with their babies lol

Small world. I work in Canandaigua. Lol I know there's a few hops farmers in our neck of the woods. A big one in flint. Might have to stop in and bug em to sell me some rhiz. Are the farmers you went to in our area enthusiastic about selling them? Just didn't know how protective hops farmers are with their babies lol

I reached out to Bluebell in Victor and Kurt was very happy to sell me some rhizomes. He was very helpful with any questions I had and what not. When I went out there to pick them up, we walked the field and he snipped them from the larger ones that needed to be thinned out some. Call around to the local farms and see what they say. Good luck!

Thanks, captain obvious.

Yea, well, from your message you seem to know about zero about the culture of hops. Which is fine, we all need to start somewhere, but forums are typically better mediums to expand upon a base of knowledge, while there are a number of websites and manuals to help get core info.

You said you couldn't be bothered to do a simple google search, it doesn't really incite people to bother with more detailed answers.

but forums are typically better mediums to expand upon a base of knowledge.

You bring up a good point. I totally forgot to check the Apimyces Rule Book on How/When to Ask Questions on a Forum. I'll do that next time, thanks.

You said you couldn't be bothered to do a simple google search, it doesn't really incite people to bother with more detailed answers.

I'll also remember this good point as well. Anytime I'm around people that know more than me about a subject, I'll keep all "noob" questions to myself since I should just whip out my phone and check the google-mobile. Human interaction is overrated.

I reached out to Bluebell in Victor and Kurt was very happy to sell me some rhizomes. He was very helpful with any questions I had and what not. When I went out there to pick them up, we walked the field and he snipped them from the larger ones that needed to be thinned out some. Call around to the local farms and see what they say. Good luck!

Thanks dude. I will definitely do this!

Back