Where to get CO2 in St. Louis Area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DumpsterDave

Reaction score
I just moved to the St. Louis (MO) area and need to get my CO2 tanks re-filled. I've got a 5lb and a 20lb tank. They are both new (5 or less years old) shiny aluminum tanks, so swapping them out is not an option. Where does everyone else in the area get theirs filled? I live in Wildwood, so something in St. Louis County would be preferable.

Funny you should post this. I live in Wildwood as well and am just putting a bar in our basement with 4 in-wall taps fed from a keezer in the back. I have everything except a 20lb CO2 tank. Thought I'd just pick one up locally but am not having any luck at finding where to buy them or refill them (even if I ordered bottles I'm still stuck looking for a refiller)

Hopefully someone will answer this shortly.

Welcome to the area BTW.

-Kevin

I tried Airgas in Pacific off old hwy 66, but they only swap them out. They won't fill them. In Wichita, I used to get my tanks filled at a fire extinguisher supply company. They only charged about $15 to fill the 20# tank I have. I have also used paintball shops at times, but all of the ones that I have contacted out here so far will only fill up to a 24oz bottle, including Dicks Sporting Goods. I'll be sure to post something if I find anything before anyone else responds.

Missouri Malt Supply in Fenton will fill them for you, although their hours of business are rather limited. Also CR Frank popcorn near the airport will fill CO2 tanks. Design2Brew in Ofallon might also do refills.

Cool, thanks. I'll look into MO Malt. I did find 3 other places that fill them. Weber Fire & Safety will fill a 20# tank for $30 and a 5# tank for $18 which to me is high (I used to pay $14 to get my 20# tank filled and $10 for my 5#). Cee Kay has said that they will fill as opposed to swap but it takes 2 days to get your tank back. No price from them yet. I also found another place in Fenton called St. Louis Recharge that specifically mention filling CO2 tanks for homebrewing on their website. They are located off of 141 near 44. I haven't gotten a chance to call them yet. I checked with Design2Brew and they said that currently, they only swap them, but I can request that I get the same tank back from their filler, but they make no guarantees. They are looking into being able to offer that, but don't currently.

Just stopped by St. Louis Wine and Beermaking and they had a bunch of filled 5# and 20# CO2 tanks. I picked up the 20# I needed. They also indicated $27/refill for the 20# tank.

I finally got out to MO Malt Supply in Fenton this past Saturday. He filled my tank up while I waited and only charged me for the CO2 he was able to put into it. He normally charges $24 for a 20# fill but only charged me $21.60 since he could only get 18# in my tank. I also ended up picking up a 50# sack of 2-row and some other miscellaneous items that I needed since his prices were pretty much in line with what I can order online.

Fenton Feed Supply also fills tanks. I sold a 20# tank a while ago, and I think it was something like $26 for exchange. Not sure if they will fill one up.

Good luck and welcome to St. Louis! If anyone local would like to exchange beers or recipes, just let me know!

TPH

If anyone is like me and only has a 5 pound tank, don't get the run-around from Cee-Kay and these other "exchange only" places. Go to Paintball Outfitters. I kept internet searching for Welding supply shops (and the like) in the STL area and got really frustrated because, I too, have a newer aluminum tank and don't want to exchange it for some POS, if not for the condition of the tank BUT more importantly, the VALVE. Sure, all tanks needs to be "hydro'd" every five years and theirs "may be" up-to-date but what if the valve leaks? I went through about 15 kegs before needing a refill because the valve is tight. Anyway, I just had to share and vent!

Thanks Very Much for this website which pointed me in the direction of paintball shops. (Go figure)

Cheers!

:mug:

Max H.

+1 on Mo malt. He is fair on his fills. Get on their email list. He does a monthly group buy from a rotating group of the major maltsters, you can get fresh grain at a discount from their stocked price. Best price I can find per pound in town. Welcome to STL!

Latest posts

Back