Where to get a co2 Fill in MD

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not read all the posts so try a gas and welding place in your area, I use Wesco and 20lbs is 15. on exchange for food grade bottle...FWIW
https://www.earlbeck.com/
That sounds very reasonable.
Around here for 20# I pay around $30 for either a fill at 3 places, or just swap for a food/beverage grade cylinder at Praxair here. Haven't found a better price yet, I had called around...
Some quotes were almost double that. :tank:

Any recommendations for the Annapolis area? I have been calling around, but so far only Poist has confirmed refills of CO2. I know Annapolis Home Brew does, but they are typically very expensive.

Any recommendations for the Annapolis area? I have been calling around, but so far only Poist has confirmed refills of CO2. I know Annapolis Home Brew does, but they are typically very expensive.
Yup, Annapolis Homebrew is ridiculously expensive, except for 2.5 pound refills, maybe. $3.20 a pound last time I checked.

The new place in Laurel on Rte. 1 (I guess that's Poist) is one of the few that fills while you wait.
I now swap mine at Praxair Curtis Bay. There's also a Praxair in Jessup, they fill as well as swap, but if they're busy you can't wait for a refill on the spot. So that makes it 2 trips.

That BFPE on the southside of BWI is a good place for fills if you're in the area.

There may be other fire protection services in your area that fill. Use the yellow pages (the paper edition), it may list additional resources.
I still use them, not everything is on the web.

Last edited:
Yup, Annapolis Homebrew is ridiculously expensive, except for 2.5 pound refills, maybe. $3.20 a pound last time I checked.

The new place in Laurel on Rte. 1 is one of the few that fills while you wait.
I now swap mine at Praxair Curtis Bay. There's also a Praxair in Jessup, they fill as well as swap, but if they're busy you can't wait for a refill on the spot. So that makes it 2 trips.

That BFPE on the southside of BWI is a good place for fills if you're in the area.

There may be other fire protection services in your area that fill. Use the yellow pages (the paper edition), it may list additional resources.
I still use them, not everything is on the web.
Yeah, I am looking to refill a 20 lb cylinder. I'm calling welding suppliers and fire protection places in the area. Will update if I find anything closer to the area.

Wow, $3.20 is a ton! Especially for a 20 lb cylinder. Supposedly the Annapolis Homebrew club gets a discount....will update with that rate as well.

When I first started kegging I used Robert's in Rockville. But its only open when I should be at work so then I found H&K and went there until it closed. Then I tried another fire store in rockville that was awful--expensive and rude--before finding laurel bottled gas. The guys there could be kind of gruff but it was cheap and reliable. When they closed I went to poist, but had trouble getting there when they were actually open.

Then I tried F&M fire protection in Hyattsville. Really nice guy but their pump broke and he could only fill my #2.5 not my #20.

Now I just go to Robert's in Bladensberg. It's on my way to work and they always have what I need. It probably costs a few dollars more but they're reliable.

laurel bottled gas. The guys there could be kind of gruff but it was cheap and reliable. When they closed I went to poist, but had trouble getting there when they were actually open.

Now I just go to Robert's in Bladensberg. It's on my way to work and they always have what I need. It probably costs a few dollars more but they're reliable.

Its funny I have had the same experiences as you. Laural was my go to for so long. McDs across the street was nice to grab a burger while my tanks were being filled. Same issues with Poist. I ended up going with Roberts in Westmisnter. I don't know how or why, but all their tanks are shiny and nice looking instead of looking like something out of a post apocalyptic movie. I don't even try to hide my #20 now. The downside is they don't fill anything there, only swap (even 5 pound tanks).

Just remembered another source for those on the North East side of DC and surrounding areas, like Takoma Park, etc. The homebrew shop at 3-Stars Brewery (Chilton Place, DC) used to swap 5# tanks, maybe 10# too. Not sure if they still do. A few years ago I hoped to swap my 20# there, but that was no go.

Definitely call the homebrew shop first and double check on this before venturing out there.

Anyone have a location in Harford or Cecil County that does refills?

Thanks!

Poist bought Laurel gas a few years ago.
I've done both and like Poist.

H&K sounds appealing but can't get answer to ringer to see when i can come by.

Any suggestions other than Roberts in Gaithersburg/Germantown area? TIA!

Just to keep up on the prices I just had a 20# bottle exchanged at Roberts in Frederick. The bottle was a craigslist special, so no owner stamps but also out of hydro. Roberts swapped me a new bottle for $40, but it does now say "ROBERTS" on the neck so I'm more or less stuck with them for refills which is ok even if they aren't the cheapest because they're 9 minutes from my work and pretty easy to deal with. Far as I can tell they don't care what the date stamps on the bottles are, it's the same cost every exchange and they probably come out ahead in the long run.

Just to keep up on the prices I just had a 20# bottle exchanged at Roberts in Frederick. The bottle was a craigslist special, so no owner stamps but also out of hydro. Roberts swapped me a new bottle for $40, but it does now say "ROBERTS" on the neck so I'm more or less stuck with them for refills which is ok even if they aren't the cheapest because they're 9 minutes from my work and pretty easy to deal with. Far as I can tell they don't care what the date stamps on the bottles are, it's the same cost every exchange and they probably come out ahead in the long run.

Wow. Getting expensive. My last two exchanges there were around $30~$32. Used to get fills at their facility in Hagerstown but they stopped filling on site there a few years back. Even Frederick is exchange only now, but Randy always seems to set me up with a shiny bottle.

Brooo Brother

Back