Where to Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friscobrewer

Reaction score
As with everything I am sure there are many ways to do this, but am wondering what techniques others use.

I have a light pale ale in primary that I want to dry hop. I have never dryhopped before. I was going to dry hop in the secondary(a 1-2-3 type of schedule). I have been reading about people that keep beers in primary to allow the yeast to clean itself up and have had great results.

Can you dry hop in primary after fermentation is done or is it better to go to secondary and rack on top of it?

secondary or keg. You can od it in the primary if you want. You should be ok to leave it on the yeast. I pprefer not to, but that is me. Some people use a tea ball that is sanitized with hops in it.

There are as many ways to do this as there are brewers. You'll figure one out! :D

Personally, I'm fondest of dry-hopping in the secondary. You can have quite a lot of fun, though, dry-hopping in the keg - this mimics the English real ale practice. Dry-hops in a sack, add priming sugar and finings, and rack the beer into the keg. Yum! Cask-conditioned real ale!

The only caveat with that I've discovered is that you have to drink your way through that keg rather quickly. If it takes you a month to drink through the keg, you'll be drinking hops tea at the end.

Experiment and enjoy!

Bob

Add them in secondary AND keg! :rockin:

I usually do my dry hopping in secondary, but will also dry hop in the keg from time to time.

Add them in secondary AND keg! :rockin:
I usually do my dry hopping in secondary, but will also dry hop in the keg from time to time.

Anywhere, and all the time! I throw mine in the secondary. Bit of a PITA to get out, but gives you a nice hoppy finish like your fave micro.

Back