Where to buy Harris Stay-Brite #8 solder in Canada?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atreid

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just received a refund notice for the Stay-Brite #8 solder I ordered on Ebay from a US seller. He sent it but got returned close to the border as a forbidden Ebay product.... :-(

I couldn't find any other seller (except crooks selling it 200$ lol)...

Anyone know where I can find it from Canada? (I live in Montreal and I'd rather buy it online from a Canadian based website but if anyone know of a local shop actually selling the Star-Brite #8, I'm also interested). Or at the very least, does anyone know of a US website shipping it (successfully I might add) to Canada?

I just received some nice weld spuds from Brew Hardware and now I don't even have the solder to use them...

If your quest last 'til Monday, I can check an old Plumbing Supply house in town. I know they carry Harris Products.
Been forever since I bought any, so I have no idea of the cost.

'da Kid
Dayton,OH

Check with your local plumbing supply houses. Look for SilvaBrite 100 or Silvabrite S. This solder is in Canada and both will solder stainless steel. Otherwise, order online and have it shipped to http://www.freeportforwarding.com/, an hour from Montreal and pick it up.

If this is to solder stainless, dont worry about it, you can use any silver based solder (home depot has some). Whats important is the stay brite liquid flux. I had to buy some over ebay (16oz bottle for around 25bucks)

again, as long as you get silver bearing plumbing solder (home depot/lowes) you will be fine. Just get the right flux

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARRIS-STAY-CLEAN-LIQUID-FLUX-16oz-bottle-/360703069465?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fb940d19

I know it will hold but the joint won't be as strong and durable as with higher silver content solder. I'd rather do it once and well... I'm actually even considering the SSF-6 from MuggyWeld (since at this price they are truly mugging you...) for brazing but it's pretty expensive and I'm worried about heat stressing the stainless....

I know it will hold but the joint won't be as strong and durable as with higher silver content solder. I'd rather do it once and well... I'm actually even considering the SSF-6 from MuggyWeld (since at this price they are truly mugging you...) for brazing but it's pretty expensive and I'm worried about heat stressing the stainless....
^^ - You concern over heat stressing is a sound concern.

For me? I would not do it.

P-J

^^ - You concern over heat stressing is a sound concern.

For me? I would not do it.

P-J

Yeah thx. Some references I found seem to say heat stressing is overrated... I'm not sure... I wonder why true TIG welding is less of an issue for heat stress while temperatures are so much higher than brazing...

Stay-Brite 8 is expensive enough but 1 lb of it will last me forever so it seems like a good investment... (plus stay clean flux of course).

Geez, if I would have known how hard it was to get your hands on this stuff here in Canada, I would have just ordered the weld in bung from Bobby. My local fab shop would have welded it in for me for less than this damn solder is going to cost me. Frick.

I ended up finding the stuff at a local weld shop in Montreal.

Had to be special ordered and took 3 weeks to arrive but prices were comparable to what I found US online or on EBay.

95$ for 1lb StayBrite-8 and around 20$ for 16oz liquid StayClear Flux.

Have any Canadians found Stay-Brite products in Canada recently, and specifically in the greater Vancouver area

Back