Where to buy grain...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teedocious

Reaction score
Does anyone have a decent source for purchasing grain? I'm looking to pickup 50# or so of some grain, but haven't come up with any results yet... Any ideas?

(I can't bring myself to use the LHBS for base malts anymore - maybe for specialty grains that I won't use a lot of...)

How about from More Beer? See their Bulk Grains page.

There's also Northern Brewer. Their bulk grains are listed at the bottom of this page

Midwest Homebrewing has some bulk grains too.

And then there is Austin Homebrew Supply, who sells bulk grains too. If their $5,99 flat rate shipping applies, they might end up being the best choice. I don't know, as I've never ordered bulk grains before.

Probably you should check bulk grain price plus shipping to your location from each of those places. They are located in different geographic areas, so the shipping could vary depending on how far away from you they are. All of these places probably sell in high enough volume that you could be assured of getting fresh grain. I'm sure there are other possibilities too.

I use the LHBS as the cost of bulk grains there (with no shipping) is better than any on-line place (with shipping). It is date stamped, so I know it's not stale. If you do go on-line, then try to find a nearby distribution center as the shipping costs should be less.

-a.

Like others have said, if you go with an online retailer, pick a place that is geographically close. That shipping adds up fast when 50lb sacks are involved.

The Austin Homebrew shipping price may look attractive, but you are only getting 40lbs instead of 50. I did a quick price comparison between them and Northern Brewer and it would only cost me $2.57 more to have the 50lb sack shipped from Northern Brewer.

I'm lucky enough to have a LHBS in my area that sells fresh 50lb sacks for $34.50, so I don't have to worry about shipping.

Calling your LHBS to have it ordered (if they don't have in stock) might save you the shipping all-together.

Latest posts

Back