Where is the sourness coming from in this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewedforce

Reaction score
I am drinking Penobscot Bay Brewery Meadow Road Wheat Beer right now. It says on the label it is 'true to the Hefeweizen tradition' and uses only 'malted wheat, lager malt, a top fermenting Bavarian yeast, and is lightly hopped with Tettnang'. It is excessively sour which I have never experienced with a Hefeweizen, although it is called 'Wheat Beer' and not Hefeweizen. I'm not sure if this is intentional? From what I am reading it seems like sourness is NOT ever a desired trait in a hefeweizen, but a Berliner Weisse is fermented with Bavarian yeast and Lactobacillus, perhaps that is more the style they are intending to brew? I read something that says that Berliner Weisse are commonly brewed with a Bavarian yeast and then in secondary Lactobacillus is added, so perhaps they are just not leaving that part out?

I am just trying to figure out if perhaps I got an odd batch, or if I didn't what exactly would be the cause of the tartness? Is it just from whatever specific yeast they brewed with? I am still new to brewing but I am not familiar with yeasts that produce this much acid, only bacteria. Also, everything I have read seems to indicate that when someone's wheat beer is sour it is an issue, and in my experience I have never encountered this quality in a wheat beer that isn't known for it. Thank you for your help!

Thank you for the support! I too am a big fan of wheat beers and I have drank many different kinds. Never have had an accidentally infected beer but I have had many sours and it was undoubtedly similar (also the aroma was quite... funky, what I would expect an infection to smell like, although I can't recall the aroma of other sours as I haven't had any in a long time), and as you say all the other wheats have all been 'sweet wheats', never sour. I have e-mailed them to ask about it.

It seems like I remember having that beer when on vacation in Maine last fall and I kind of remember a similar experience. Overall, their beers were okay but nothing to get excited about. I brought a few home with me and most of them were also so-so. I really liked Black Bear Microbrewery in Orono if you haven't tried their taproom out, its worth the visit.

seriously? i'm not going to question your word on it, kaz. i'll stay away from it based on that ( not that i have to worry about it here in texas ). they may have contaminated eqpt if their wheat beers are sour

Thank you, I will check out the taproom, I have a couple friends going to school there! Close enough to be worth the trip. But if you remember it being similar maybe that is just the way it is!

I feel like I should clarify. There beers weren't bad, just different. Its a winery that recently started brewing beers. To me everything tasted like I would expect beer to taste if it were made by a winery. Everything was very clean and refined tasting, I guests sometimes I like my beer on the "rough" side. Black Bear was more my style, nice small taproom, staffed by the brewer and his wife and out had a nice local vibe to it.

Back