Where in Europe would you live?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want to live any where but Texas. Europes a place to visit ..Texas is a place to live. I'm an American and plan to stay that way.

I'll drink my own d@mn beer. :rockin:

I'm torn between Switzerland, because it's such a breathtaking country; Vienna, Austria or Budapest, Hungary, because they are beautiful cities.

Germany is great too. I got to spend New Years 89 into 1990 on top of the Berlin Wall at the Brandenburg Gate. That was one hell of a party, needless to say. The only bad thing about Germany is they don't take kindly to Auslander (foriegners), at least those who want to live there.

Can't say, I've never visited Europe and I've lost interest in traveling. I wouldn't live in any of the Asian countries I've visited.

Sweden! I've lived there before, and I loved it. Plus, I speak Swedish, so that's handy.

Denmark's also very cool.

Germany. I was stationed there for a total of 6 years (two tours). I really don't want to live any where but the USA, but I would enjoy another extended stay in Germany.

dancingbarefoot said:
Sweden! I've lived there before, and I loved it. Plus, I speak Swedish, so that's handy.
Yeah, that could help. I do quite a lot of work in Sweden and while I don't speak much Swedish (or should say understand much) I've only encountered two people I needed to communicate with who didn't speak English better than me (a bike mechanic and a laundry attendant)! But it would certainly be a better experience to speak Swedish. I do like the country, but the weather (especially in the south, oddly enough) and the insane cost of living would probably scuttle any long-term plans for habitation.

Spanish Mediterranean, French Mediterranean, Italian Mediterranean...

Can you see a pattern?

I'd like to go to Slovenia. My sister went there with my grandma a long time ago and said it was beautiful. We have relatives there that still keep in touch from time to time.

I think it'd be nice to live in Cornwall, U.K. Been there once, it has real pretty countryside and you always close to the sea.

Hippie said:
AMSTERDAM!!! I went 2 years ago and loved it! great beer (spent alot of time at cafe belguim -- tasty!), great buds, great food, they speak english and like americans. I gave some thought to moving there and getting some work and use it as my base for exploring europe... Still might:rockin:
My pick aswell! :fro:

Cheesefood said:
I'd like to go to Slovenia. My sister went there with my grandma a long time ago and said it was beautiful. We have relatives there that still keep in touch from time to time.

I have a personal fondness for Eastern Europe. My entire heritage is Eastern European and visiting is just like stepping 20 to 40 years in the past. Everything tends to be cheap, there's always good food to found and of course there is good beer. I still have a bottle of East German beer (Wernesgruner) stowed away since 1991. I have it for posterity sake, simply because you'll never see something labeled again as "East German". I remember on my visit to Budapest, getting 12 bottles of East German beer and a 750ml bottle of Polish vodka for about 52 cents at the time. Talk about cheap!

I think I'd pick Scotland. Some of my ancestors came from there, kilts are cool, and bagpipes rock!

I'd say Praque, Czech Republic. It's beautiful and there's about 5,000 pubs in town!! Lots of Pilsner Urquell and Budvar on tap, too.

I gotta choose Australia.

Sharing borders with Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary and the Czech Republic would give lots of great travel opportunities.:drunk:

TxBrew said:
If you could live in any European country which one and why?

I lived in several German cities, from metro areas like Stuttguart to backwaters like the little 2700 population bug I was in when I left.

I completely enjoyed my time there and used it as a base to explore all of western Europe.

My suggestion; If you want to see Germany, you might not want to put it off too long. Europe is changing.

Cheers,

knewshound

Mikey said:
I gotta choose Australia.

Sharing borders with Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Slovenia, Hungary and the Czech Republic would give lots of great travel opportunities.:drunk:

Time for a geography lesson Mikey, before you drown. :D

I think we all know what you meant to say.

Do I have to work for a living, or am I independently wealthy? If I have to work, I suppose Germany, because they probably are efficient people.

If I don't have to work, then Italy, preferably near the Med. Sea.

McKBrew said:
I think I'd pick Scotland. Some of my ancestors came from there, kilts are cool, and bagpipes rock!

Highest number of pubs per head in Europe. Was over 700 when I left.
EDIT : Edinburgh

Back