Where do you order from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mencken

Reaction score
I do have a LHBS, but 30 blocks of walking is a lot for a lazy man like me. Ideally, it comes right to my door. Do you guys have favorite places? I've only really seen mention of Austin Home Brew here, and so far I've had a fairly unpleasant time with them.

So, where do you guys and girls recommend?

Not sure what issues you've had with Austin Homebrew Supply, but they try hard to make them right. Another active member here is Brewmaster's Warehouse, and quite a few of us have had excellent success with them.

Yah, I will give AHB credit that they responded to both my problems promptly, but two problems out of two orders is a ratio I don't care for. I'll check out Brewmaster's Warehouse, thanks.

I love going through Midwest Supplies. They are prompt, courteous, and always get the order right. They push a lot of weight supposidly so their supplies are about the freshest you'll find. Prices are on par with the rest of the industry and in many cases end up being cheaper. Their shipping prices are based on your location and are not "one size fits all" which ends up hurting most people in the long run. I'd give them a shot and see what you think. Home wine making supply and home brew supply available on-line at Midwest Homebrewing Supplies. Search for wine recipes and beer recipes

I get all of my stuff at Brewmasters Warehouse. It may have to do with the fact I can just grab it off the shelf, but the guy who runs it is a pretty nice guy. At least that is what people tell me to my face. :D

In all seriousness we have a good selection, good prices, and great customer service. We also have flat rate shipping, on all orders.

Ed

I think that is very cool that you guys are actually on here and checking out the posts. You know what, I don't think Midwest does that... I think I'm going to check you guys out next time I'm ready to get brewing. Thanks for being a part of the community Ed.

Midwest Supplies. If there's a better way to go, then life is sweet indeed. :fro:

I ordered a few days ago from Austin... for shipping to Canada anyway, they were the cheapest even though not the closest.

p.s. no good Canadian online retailers... :( I mean, there are some... but selection is very limited.

I get all of my stuff at Brewmasters Warehouse. It may have to do with the fact I can just grab it off the shelf, but the guy who runs it is a pretty nice guy. At least that is what people tell me to my face. :D

In all seriousness we have a good selection, good prices, and great customer service. We also have flat rate shipping, on all orders.

Ed

I get mine at Austin Homebrew Supply. Very large selection, all good.
25,000 customers can't be wrong. Flat rate shipping on all orders.

Forrest

I have great Success with Midwest Supplies, Northern Homebrew & AHS. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time so do not hesitate to retry one of these if for some reason they dropped the ball on your order once. If they did not resolve the mistake that is a completely different story IMHO

My best experiences have been from Brewmasters Warehouse hands down. Worst have been with MoreBeer by far. Midwest, NorthernBrewer and Austin Homebrew have all be good to me as well.

I like Midwest because they actually have a print catalog. As in made of paper, like a book. Not an e-book, but an OLD book with pages and covers and stuff. They not only offer a paper print hard copy catalog, but it's a pretty darn good one with lots of explanations and information. You can sit down in a chair and adjust the light and relax over it and learn stuff and discover all the cool equipment, gadjets, etc. GASP -- AWAY from the COMPUTER, OMG!!!

Does this make me a hopeless old anachronism, a real grandpa? Oh god, I'm only 48... :drunk:

I can just grab it off the shelf,

Ed

Hey, if I ever make it down that way, I'll grab it off the shelf too. I know you can't sell in Georgia yet, but who says I'll be paying? :D

If you like print catalogs, Northern Brewer has a great catalog as well. I like the cover themes personally. However I rarely order online, but when I do from now on it will be from Brewmaster's Warehouse. I have no issues with any of the suppliers, but if you are satisfied with one you might as well stick with it.

I've order once from Northern Brewery and once from Austin Homebrew Supply. No troubles with either. My next order will be from AHS again (once the 10% of rolls around to AZ). I'll probably stick with them even after simiply due to the fact they aren't blocked here at work while just about ever other site is.

I think that is very cool that you guys are actually on here and checking out the posts. You know what, I don't think Midwest does that... I think I'm going to check you guys out next time I'm ready to get brewing. Thanks for being a part of the community Ed.

Of course I am on here checking it out. I have been a supporting member for 2 years now, and this site and everyone on here have helped me so much, that with or without the store I will always be a supporting and active member of the community.

In fairness Forrest the owner of Austin Homebrew is also a member and does respond to posts.

Thanks,
Ed

Quit being nice to eachother Forrest and Ed, we want a war!!!!! A sales war that is, kind of like when the airlines sell $29 tickets, etc... 50% off, free shipping, a Russian mail order bride with every order. Lets get it on!!

Over the years I have ordered from MoreBeer maybe 200 times, never paid shipping and there has never been a mistake on one of my orders.

Speaking of catalogs, Does anyone have Northen Brewers catalog?

Is it true that one of their Belgin kits in the catalog contains "Bitter Orange Pee".

Ed, do you put Bitter Orange Pee in any of your beer kits? We don't. I just don't think it belongs in Belgian beer. At least any I have tasted.

Forrest

Quit being nice to eachother Forrest and Ed, we want a war!!!!! A sales war that is, kind of like when the airlines sell $29 tickets, etc... 50% off, free shipping, a Russian mail order bride with every order. Lets get it on!!

But Ed rocks just as much as I do. Can't help it.

Forrest

I order my stuff from Austin Homebrew. They're the closest thing I have to a LHBS.

I like Midwest too, I tried the LHBS but the guy didn't seem interested in my business so I won't be back.

Is it true that one of their Belgin kits in the catalog contains "Bitter Orange Pee".

Ed, do you put Bitter Orange Pee in any of your beer kits? We don't. I just don't think it belongs in Belgian beer. At least any I have tasted.

Forrest

:) Ok Forrest, if you are going to get catty about a typo you should make sure you don't have one in your post. :cross:

:) Ok Forrest, if you are going to get catty about a typo you should make sure you don't have one in your post. :cross:

It was tounge in cheek humor. Do I really need to put J/K?

It is a funny typo, you have to admit.

Forrest

I like Midwest because they actually have a print catalog. As in made of paper, like a book. Not an e-book, but an OLD book with pages and covers and stuff. They not only offer a paper print hard copy catalog, but it's a pretty darn good one with lots of explanations and information. You can sit down in a chair and adjust the light and relax over it and learn stuff and discover all the cool equipment, gadjets, etc. GASP -- AWAY from the COMPUTER, OMG!!!

Does this make me a hopeless old anachronism, a real grandpa? Oh god, I'm only 48... :drunk:

Print catalogs are great. I love the Northern Brewer tosses in both the beer catalog and the wine catalog in every order. The latter is especially cool to sit and think about since I'm less familiar with the contents. I'm guessing I'll be starting down that path this summer. And I'm always giving away copies of the beer one to friends who used to brew or are interested in the concept, maybe help jumpstart their interest.

I like that NB not only gives you the full kit recipes online so you know what you're getting, but also has one of the guys who helps devise them posting on the message boards over there.

I've heard good things about AHS and BMW as well, so I'll probably try them at some point in the near future.

Forrest

Forrest, I think NB is the only ones that carry Bitter Orange Pee. That stuff is hard to find. I have been wondering where they get it from.

Ed

Forrest, I think NB is the only ones that carry Bitter Orange Pee. That stuff is hard to find. I have been wondering where they get it from.

Ed

I saw bitter orange pee on sale a few months back so i stocked up. It really adds a special "zing" to my Rye Pale Ale.

Surly you tasted it in the bottle of it you had the other day Ed.

I saw bitter orange pee on sale a few months back so i stocked up. It really adds a special "zing" to my Rye Pale Ale.

Surly you tasted it in the bottle of it you had the other day Ed.

I thought the zing came from the orange peel, not orange pee.

Note to self, no more trying orange pee beer.

:) I love this site! Just ordered a Northern Brewer catalog, thanks all.

I've ordered stuff from Forrest too, since I'm even more fond of Austin than HBT, and I continue to support my LHBS as much as they will allow me to. They're limited in inventory, and badly overdo the K.I.S.S. principle in my opinion, though I feel disinclined to second-guess anyone who can manage a profit running a retail business that caters to home brewers.

It's super cool to find this hobby so well served by all... :mug:

Latest posts

Back