Where do you get your honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shunoshi

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to brewing. I've made a couple batches of beer and apfelwein now, but would really like to try my hand at mead. I've never really acquired a taste for grape wine, but I really like mead.

Since honey is the main ingredient in mead it's probably safe to say that it's one of the most important ingredients. So, where do you get your honey? I doubt everyone is lucky enough to live next to an apiary. Will big brand commercial honey companies do the trick? I figured that you'd want to stay away from them since you really don't know where the honey is coming from. Is there a good (affordable) online dealer out there? I'd prefer to be able to get a specific style of honey (orange blossom, alfalfa, etc.)

Any suggestions? There are a few apiaries in MN, but none that are near the Twin Cities metro.

The Home Brewery in Ozark, MO has mead kits using wildflower honey from Kansas. Ive made a few of their kits and have been satisified with the results. Recently Ive found a few sources within just a few miles of my home , and have gotten about 9 lbs of local clover and alfalfa honey. Give The Home Brewery a try(www.homebrewery.com) if youre concerned with store bought honey

I'm getting mine from a local school farm, but I know that NB has honey for sale, so check your LHBS too. If nothing else, they'll probably know where to get some...

fatboy570 said:
The Home Brewery in Ozark, MO has mead kits using wildflower honey from Kansas. Ive made a few of their kits and have been satisified with the results. Recently Ive found a few sources within just a few miles of my home , and have gotten about 9 lbs of local clover and alfalfa honey. Give The Home Brewery a try(www.homebrewery.com) if youre concerned with store bought honey

Thanks, I'll check out this site and see what they have. :mug:

Adolphus79 said:
I'm getting mine from a local school farm, but I know that NB has honey for sale, so check your LHBS too. If nothing else, they'll probably know where to get some...

Luckily, Midwest Supply and Northern Brewer are my LHBS's. I checked out Midwest who only has a MN clover honey, but it does appear that NB has a couple varieties (clover, wildflower, varietal). They're on the other side of the Twin Cities, but that drive will beat paying for shipping I'm sure. I'll keep my eyes peeled for other options, but that may be my most affordable route at the moment. Thanks! :D

Back