Where do you draw the line when dealing with oxygen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucianthorr

Reaction score
This is sort of a general question but I put it here in the wild/lambic forum because I'm more focused on beers that are sitting in fermenters for months rather than just a few weeks.

The whole topic of minimizing oxygen exposure has developed into a ridiculous phobia for me. I understand that we shouldn't be keeping our fermenter sealed but how much do we need to worry about oxygen exposure from periodic suck-back caused from temperature fluctuation over months of aging or the occasional sampling?

I'm also curious to hear how some of the wild/sour homebrewers here deal with it when you've got multiple ferments going at a time.

As always, thanks in advance.

Brett scavenges oxygen, so oxidation isn't much of a concern, and in fact Brett prefers tiny amounts of oxygen. Pellicle formation further serves as a barrier (probably).

I use silicone waterless airlocks that eliminate oxygen diffusion and suckback.

Why are your beers sitting for months?

Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I do a lot of brett beers, which I always let sit in the fermenter for about 3 months before kegging. I always hear that it takes about that long for them to really contribute any character and so I figured that was the way to go.

I've kegged earlier and just burped the keg once a week but I didn't really see anything wrong with letting the beer sit. This is definitely why I asked though. I'd like to improve my process's efficiency on the cold side of things because I'm guessing it's pretty convoluted at this point.

Ok that makes sense! From your first post I didn't get the impression you were using Brett.

Don't worry too much about oxidation. I assume you can purge headspace with CO2.
Worst case scenario: The beer will develop a vinegar (acetic acid) taste if there is too much oxygen, so you'll know.
Too LITTLE oxygen can leave a mixed fermentation beer lifeless, so there's no reason to go overboard about preventing O2 exposure.

Unless you're doing 100% Brett fermentation or something similar, it needs time to do its thing.
I'd suggest reaching a stable gravity (same reading a few weeks apart) before packaging.

Hope this helps, cheers

What RPh Guy said (he's a smart guy!)

Brett is a great oxygen scavenger so you don't need to worry about oxidation too much, but you'll know too much was getting in if the beer takes on a vinegar character (when Brett consumes oxygen it creates acetic acid; if too much is being created it'll be noticeable as vinegary). RDWHAHB!

Back