Where do you buy malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time I bought Viking malt, 2 years ago, it was $7.99!

Holy crap

I have not looked at them in a long time because efficiency was always less with them and I get flavors I prefer from other malts but yea I remember them selling for bargain basement prices like you said 10lbs for $8 now its $12 that is a 50% increase in price

I could swear I picked up a 50lb sack for $25 at one point

Big Ritebrew.com fan here. This is due, in part, to the fact the they are only a couple hundred miles north of me. In the Midwest, you can ship using SpeeDee, which is markedly cheaper than the alternatives, especially for heavier shipments. In my experience, if I order in the morning, there's a very good chance that SpeeDee will be delivering the order to me the next day.

Another cool service offered by Ritebrew is pre-ordering Wyeast and Omega yeasts. You place your order for a specific strain, then the following Monday, they place the order and receive the ultra-fresh yeast usually later that same week. They will then ship it to you, or if you choose, they will wait until the following Monday to ship it in order to avoid the chance of the yeast languishing on a truck over a weekend.
l like rite-brew as well,ordered a barley wine recipe but couldn't find the double crush option this time?

Home building/home improvement material pricing has gone batpoopy over the last year - because folks that couldn't spend money on travel put the money into their homes. I was dealing with an Andersen rep this week and they have nearly tripled their annual run rate, which is a stupendous thing, and which did not help my negotiating position at all ;)

Cheers!

I get my specialty grains, yeast and other ingredients from RiteBrew.com. They are only a couple hundred miles away and stuff arives within 48 hours typically.

We have a local homebrew supply place, but their hours are horrible and prices high. I want to support them, but they make it really hard.

For base grains, our homebrew club does a couple group orders. For generic pale ale malt, brewers malt, pilsner etc, we work with a local brewery who adds our order onto their order from Briess. It's typically $25-30 a bag.

For European grains, we do a group buy and get stuff like floor malted Maris Otter for $40/bag. Frequently members will split a bag if they don't want a whole one.

In general, if you're not in a homebrew club, see if there's one around and join. It's a great source of information, feedback, sampling and events (we serve our homebrew at a nearby community's beer fest, for example).
$40/bag of Maris Otter, what volume? I just bought a 10# bag of MO for $20 . i couldnt resist.

Home building/home improvement material pricing has gone batpoopy over the last year - because folks that couldn't spend money on travel put the money into their homes. I was dealing with an Andersen rep this week and they have nearly tripled their annual run rate, which is a stupendous thing, and which did not help my negotiating position at all ;)

Cheers!
my step son works the pro desk at the local Lowes. just one 2x12x 16 ft is $72 . when you consider the wildfires over the past few years, the hurricanes, tornados and recent gas prices( shipping) everything is up.

I could swear I picked up a 50lb sack for $25 at one point

I think i got a 50 or 55# sack in store of the original "pale" ((not the extra pale that came out later)). It was $24.99 AND then it was 15% off for an in store special. Guys were buying a half dozen sacks at a time.
The original pale was darker than what most people wanted. I just balance my recepie and pocket the savings.

I paid $7.99 for the Viking 10#ers in 7/19.

I will bet the difference in price reflects increased shipping costs more than anything else.

Also... it is funny- reading this thread: i wonder if people buying grain (& other stuff) on-line led to the demise of the LHBS.... now as the LHBS dissaperas, the on-line guys get more expensive??

The original pale was darker than what most people wanted. I just balance my recipes and pocket the savings.

I grabbed one of those myself. Something like $42 for 55# delivered to my door. I made some small batch single grain beers, and the Viking Pale Ale was much darker and "flavorful" than even Crisp Maris Otter. I made some okay beers with the Viking Pale Ale, but felt it was more like a Vienna than a Base/Pale Ale malt.

I recently called around to some breweries in my area (Charleston, SC) about buying some grain. The first 3 said they did not sell grain to the public. I got voice mail on the 4th. To my surprise, the head brewer of the local Belgian brewery called me back a few days later. $45 for a 55# sack of Dingemans Pils! Hell yeah.

If there is a local or regional club you can join, that's probably your best bet if you want to avoid paying retail. Wholesale prices are way lower, but typically the minimum order is 40x 55# bags. It comes on a pallet.

Find someone (or get your own) BSG Customer account. Again, location dependent.
Massholes are already hooked up via Niles @whosradl. Bag prices are typically a buck a pound for stuff like GP and MO and less for random base malts...

Cheers!

Iheyg masshole here just started brewing. Do you have more info on this?

Back