Where did I go wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerryskid89

Reaction score
Today I brewed my 6th batch of beer. This was the first time using a Midwest Supplies kit, White Lab Yeast, and doing a lager. The kit was Rich German Bock.

I steeped the grains for 30 min at about 158 degrees, I boiled 3 gallons of water and added most of the extract saving about a pound for a late addition at the 15 min mark. I brought it back to a boil and added the 2 oz Hallertau hop and then added the 1 oz Saaz hops with 2 min left. I used a wort chiller (for the first time!) and brought the temp down to 80 degrees. Transferred to the bucket and topped off to 5 gallons. Here is the problem. I have never felt good about my hydrometer readings! This was supposed to come in at 1.064-1.066 and I got 1.04ish at 75 degrees. The pot was probably on the stove a little over 60 min since I lost the boil when I added the extract towards the end of the boil.

Sorry for the long explanation! Anyone have any idea what went wrong, if anything? Your help is appreciated.

you topped up .....it is a mixing issue. wort is way heavier and more dense than water so you have seperation. Your sample was more water than wort.

Hydrometers are calibrated at 60 degrees if you took the reading at 75 that could be part of your problem

I brewed this extract kit last week and got 1.064. Since it's an extract the there's only a couple things that could cause a low gravity reading. Either you added too much water or your hydrometer is inaccurate. I'd guess the later.

I felt like I mixed thoroughly. That makes me feel better.
Common "mistake" - no matter how well you think you mixed it, it just never seems to be enough. Of course, it could be your hydrometer - have you checked it against plain water? Could also be a volume issue - how confident are you in your volumes? Those marks on the brew buckets aren't known for their precision.

Back