Where did all the whole hops go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magno

Sound Level Technician
Reaction score
My recipes usually include at least an ounce of whole hops to act as a filter bed. I found a while ago that using only pellets would often clog the system.

Recently I have been noticing less and less of a whole hop selection at my two LHBS's... talking to the staff at one of the stores, it seems that many varieties will no longer be available to the homebrew market - including Willamette which I use quite a bit. I haven't been able to find whole Goldings or Fuggles for a while.

What gives?

Does anyone have a work-around, or a source for these low-to-moderated AA varieties in whole leaf form?

That's what I would have though too... but these varieties seem to be on terminal back order.

1603460956139.png

My recipes usually include at least an ounce of whole hops to act as a filter bed. I found a while ago that using only pellets would often clog the system.

Recently I have been noticing less and less of a whole hop selection at my two LHBS's... talking to the staff at one of the stores, it seems that many varieties will no longer be available to the homebrew market - including Willamette which I use quite a bit. I haven't been able to find whole Goldings or Fuggles for a while.

What gives?

Does anyone have a work-around, or a source for these low-to-moderated AA varieties in whole leaf form?
I’ve noticed the same thing. I took a couple of years off because of a career change and a move, and when I came back I couldn’t find hardly any whole leaf hops. I had never used pellets before, now it’s all I can get. I have 4 LHBS within reasonable driving distance, none carry whole leaf hops anymore.

Sibelman: super suggestion - I guess I had to look closer to the source...

I've got them on the way now. Thanks!

Ogilthorpe: this is what I've been noticing too, the selection has slowly diminished over the last couple years, but it seems like suddenly there are near zero selection of whole hops around here.

Hops Direct

Super cheap and they will often send you 1.8lbs when you only pay for 1lb. Theyve got tons of 2020 leaf now including varieties you wont find in leaf anywhere else.

My Willamette bine was massive it’s first year planted for me, I started with a crown-not a rhizome.

If you have a spot you could easily grow them and dry & vacuum seal whole cones for your use.

I and some friends have been buying from
Ted Hausotter
Hop Heaven
541-980-2487
http://hopheaven.beer/
He does whole hop and pellet hops. We usually get a bunch of pounds each and then split up pounds of varieties we don't each want full pounds of. His close out hops (well all his hops) are vacuum sealed and have always been excellent - even when we have gotten 2 year old hops super cheap. I've never been disappointed in his hops.

These are great resources! Thanks for sharing.

LokiM4: Unfortunately both of my attempts at growing hops here in Texas were failures...

Back