where are you preordering your rhizomes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just pre-ordered 4 rhizomes from Thyme Garden. Gonna give it my first try this spring. 2 cascades, 1 centennial, and 1 willamette. Stick to the basics to start, but Im very excited!

I just ordered two each of the following from Thyme Garden;

CASCADE - alpha 4-6%
CENTENNIAL - alpha 8-11%
FUGGLE - alpha 4-5.5%
NUGGET - alpha 11-14%
WILLAMETTE - alpha 4-6%
MAGNUM - alpha 12-17%

Last year I had bad luck and only one of my hop plants survived (barely..). This year I'm going to hedge my bet by planting more. As long as I have a few healthy plants by fall I'll be very happy.

Last year, the willamette and chinook that I got from my LHBS grew even thou they got into the ground way late. The 3 goldings I got from Freshops didn't grow at all. So this year I think I am going to get 1 more of both the willamette and the chinook, plus 4 Sterling if I can get them, from my LHBS.

Ordered 3 Sunbeam Golden from Nichols Garden Nursery and Sterling (1), Nugget (2) and Fuggle (1) from Thyme Garden.

Also got Thyme Garden's Corscian Mint. Tricky to grow from what I read but a pretty low growing mint used as a ground cover between pavers and to make creme de menthe. TG included a free pack of seeds: Amaranth Hopi Red Dye. The Homebrewers Garden says amaranth is simple to malt. Wonder if TG selected that as a freebie because of the hops order.

Just placed first ever order with Freshops :D

Ordered
Cascades, Willamettes, Cascades, Sterlings.
Pretty excited!

Has anyone received Rhizomes from Midwest yet? I keep hearing how people ordered a few weeks ago from other palces and already received theirs...I'm getting a little anxious!

Has anyone received Rhizomes from Midwest yet? I keep hearing how people ordered a few weeks ago from other palces and already received theirs...I'm getting a little anxious!

Still waiting, their website says they ship when they receive them. Sometime in the beginning of april :(.

I got my order from Freshops 3 days after I placed it: Cascades, EKG, Hallertau, Centennial. One of the cascades was dried out, so I called them and they sent a replacement fatty with three 4" shoots already coming out of it. Now if only this snow would melt...

That's where I orderd all mine from. But I can't tell you anything good about them. This is the first time I worked with these people.

I pre-ordered from thymegarden as well. They were a little smaller than I expected, actually the cascades were really small, but they sent me 3 instead of 2 so maybe they realized that too.

My Willamette and Magnum have already sprouted after 5 days in the dirt.

I pre-ordered from thymegarden as well. They were a little smaller than I expected, actually the cascades were really small, but they sent me 3 instead of 2 so maybe they realized that too.

My Willamette and Magnum have already sprouted after 5 days in the dirt.

I too ordered from thymegarden and my cascades were much smaller than the others (Willamette, Mt. Hood, Nugget) but have already sprouted, along with all my others, after less than a week in the dirt.

My Willamette and Nugget were huge and are already about 4" tall and forming little leaves.

I too ordered from thymegarden and my cascades were much smaller than the others (Willamette, Mt. Hood, Nugget) but have already sprouted, along with all my others, after less than a week in the dirt.

My Willamette and Nugget were huge and are already about 4" tall and forming little leaves.

Dang! what is your secret? Do you put crack in the dirt to get them hooked or something? I dug about a ft deep hole filled it with a good mixture of nice dirt and compost stuff and even some organic vegetable fertilizer (powder stuff) and I only have 2 sprouts out of 7 so far. Also those 2 sprouts are not 4 inches tall.

They'll get going. Our plants from last year are just barely poking through, but within a few weeks, they'll be rockin along. Last year you could see the difference from morning to evening...they grow several inches a day!

Crack does help, tho.

They'll get going. Our plants from last year are just barely poking through, but within a few weeks, they'll be rockin along. Last year you could see the difference from morning to evening...they grow several inches a day!

Crack does help, tho.

Ok, sounds good. Well I trusted thymegarden again, I just ordered one more perle, I have one more spot on the left of my trellis and I need to make some Dead Guy in the future.

I'll make sure to put extra crack in when I plant this one:)

I'm growing mine in some wine barrel halves with Miracle Gro potting soil. I think I have 1 extra day of growth time compared to yours, and like DeathBrewer said, these things grow fast, I am starting to see growth everyday on them. (unlike my Italian basil which has yet to sprout)

My first order ever should be shipped out today. I ordered Cascade, Nugget and Williamette from Freshops.comI know they are in Oregon and IM on the Eastern Shore of MD so Im sure it will be a while before they get here. Garden is tilled and compost and ash are in the soil so Im ready to go as soon as they arrive..

I looked all over the place, but I can't find anybody that sells Saaz rhizomes. I want to start with that as my major crop. It is IMO the tastiest hop of all.

I have been lookin for Hallertau Hops from the western area of the US, I found

www.williamsbrewing.com

I just ordered some Hallertau and Tettnang hops.

They offer a discount if you order 8+, they subtract $1.00 off the price of each.. making each rhizome $3.90.

Last year I ordered from freshops,and they did me right. was very happy with them. This year I ordered from Thyme garden,still waiting,hope they get here soon, Think I should have stayed with freshops.:( we shall see.:)

my second year hops are rocking. my nugs are waist high.:rockin:

Williams Brewing just sent me a shipping confirmation !! Woot! :ban:
They are located in NorCal, myself in SoCal. So maybe they could arrive here by tomorrow. :D

As well, I hope freshops will have my other order to me by the end of the week

The following are going into big plastic buckets (You know the big round plastic bucket-bins with the rope handles on both sides), and I'll drill holes in the bottom for proper drainage.
Bucket Hops:

HALLERTAU, TETTNANG, WILLAMETTE (Mainly because I am thinking that these may be most sensitive to heat. However I am putting all near grass, because that is the coolest area with the least terrestrial radiation from the sun.)

The rest of the Cascades, Sterling, Chinook, Nugget are going to be in the ground.

(I originally bought Two 100' x 1/4" thick white ropes, but returned them because I decided that twine is more than enough to support the weight)

I'm going to have 7 different Varieties of these babies :)

I R Excited! :D

Just ordered from thymegarden yesterday.

CASCADE
FUGGLE
MT. HOOD
STERLING

I am in CT and wanted to see how people were doing with rhizomes from thymegarden?
Are you satisfied with what you've received? Prompt shipments?

Cheers

AT

The Thyme Garden site said today that.."WE HAVE JUST FINISHED SHIPPING ALL OUR HOP ORDERS UP TO MARCH 31ST"..... :tank:

go dig some holes in your yard and get ready..:)

alright...I had to order from Thyme Garden.

That will give us the following at the house:

Planted '07:
Weird Hallertau (2 plants...tastes citrusy, probably got it wrong)
Cascade
Fuggle

Planting this year from Freshops:
Northern Brewer
Brewer's Gold
Kent Golding

Planting this year from Thyme Garden:
Mt. Hood
Perle
Sterling

Awesome.
:mug:

got mine from Midwest.. still waiting on them though.. said they shipped all of them out this past monday...

if you ordered from midwest, expect a USPS priority mail package soon

I ordered mine (2 cascade, 1 cetinnial, 1 willamette, and 1 nugget) on friday from Freshops in Oregon. I live in VA and I just got mine in the mail today. Only took 5 days and that inludes the weekend. They were only about $27 including shipping. The cascades and the willamette already have chutes growing when I opened the pakage! Can't wait to get them in the ground!:)

I ordered mine (2 cascade, 1 cetinnial, 1 willamette, and 1 nugget) on friday from Freshops in Oregon. I live in VA and I just got mine in the mail today. Only took 5 days and that inludes the weekend. They were only about $27 including shipping. The cascades and the willamette already have chutes growing when I opened the pakage! Can't wait to get them in the ground!:)

Wha...? I put in an order on Friday as well, and live in California... but nothing has arrived.

I know that my WilliamsBrew package will arrive with my rhizomes tomorrow, which were shipped out yesterday :).

Where are mah freshops lol :p

Ordered mine from Williams Brewing last Friday and were delivered today. Now I gotta get them in the ground! Plant, have a beer, plant, have a barley pop, you get the picture!

Back