Where are the mechanical engineering jobs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
Okay, I've been out of work for a little over a year. Husband's company is likely going under once the govt contracts are getting cut off sometime in 2011 (already had two sets of layoffs). I've been applying to a lot of jobs but seem to be no closer to an opportunity now then a year ago. Where are the hot spots (relatively of course) for jobs.

Specifically mechanical engineering jobs for those with <5 years experience (and not HVAC). We hate DC and want to move, which is fine because its primarily a software/electrical area. But I'm guessing I need to expand my original search locations.

I've been looking at Colorado, Boston, and Seattle as places we would enjoy living. But any other ideas? I know its petty but I refuse to live in Texas or the Gulf Coast because I know that I wouldn't be happy there long term. What other major cities should I be looking at?

Check into companies in the energy sector (Nuclear and Fossil). These companies, while often listed as "Electrical" need large ME staff to support all the required piping and fluid work that is associated with power plants.

As far as cities, most of the major cities will be home to some engineering firms. Check also, Chicago, LA, New York, etc. Additionally, you can search any of the large energy companies (AEP, FPL, Duke, Exelon, etc.) as they always need MEs for staffing the plant engineering departments.

I hate to break it to you but Texas has the fastest growing economy in the country right now. Don't rule out anything right away, get a job first. The economy is bound to improve! And you can always move again at that point, even though it's a p.i.t.a.!

Specifically mechanical engineering jobs for those with <5 years experience (and not HVAC).
Well, I was going to give you lots of good thoughts, but nevermind. HVAC is through the roof with everyone trying to be "green", comply with LEED, meet energy compliance mandates, etc.

Taking it to the next step, I do industrial refrigeration and we are all swamped. People are staying home but don't remember how to cook. So frozen food plants are going gang busters. Add to that a lack of people who want to work in food plants, slaughter houses or -50F pharmaceutical freezers and it adds up to a shortage. Its not glamorous, but at the end of the day you know you are making something people can use instead of another disposable product for them to waste money on.

Others will tell you the "green" industry is where it is at, but there are a lot of people flooding into it. So many have no clue what they are doing that it taints it for the rest. I would stay clear unless you are going to work for an established manufacturer.

Try Huntsville,Al lots of gov jobs here on Redstone Arsenal......Have you checked USAJobs for engineering here?

They are hiring some right now that I know of.....

Yeah, I've gone back and forth to Texas at my previous job and its nothing I would be able to stand long term. My husband is completely ruled against it too. I'm pretty sure I could get a job there relatively soon, but really that and the gulf coast have been absolute no's since the beginning.

I really want to stay in the energy sector as some plant or maintenance engineer. I will definitely check out those companies Ace.

They say the job market is getting better, but really most of what I'm seeing now are contract jobs. I can't really move across country for a 6 month assignment!

Where/how have you been searching for jobs (as far as websites, job listings are concerned)?

Indeed.com is a good one I've found.

Since your husband may be out of work soon as well, how far are you willing to move? International?

FWIW, I've been a mechanical engineer for the past two years for a defense subcontractor, fresh out of school, but the defense industry isn't as strong as it has been... I've been casually browsing for jobs as a back up. Mining in Australia is exploding, and they're grabbing all of the engineers they can. Just one of the prospects I've been looking at, but hey, I figured it couldn't hurt to throw it out there...

Best of luck!

AlanS, any resources on finding international jobs? I see articles about people doing it but I have always wondered how you get started looking. Having no plans for family in the near future it would be good timing to have an adventure.

I've been primarily looking through Indeed, with varied search terms based on my experience and technical topics. Other then that I brainstormed target companies I think my skills would transfer well to. Needless to say not much luck at all. I've had a few full day interviews over the past year which I thought went well. But they all ended with an I'll call you in a few days, followed by nothing which has astounded me. When did it become norm for companies to not even tell you they've made a decision one way or another.

As far as searching international jobs, I've just been Googling "[Insert country here] job search engines", or going to google.co.uk, or google.com.au for example, and then searching that country's Google for mechanical engineering jobs and/or companies. I've never taken the next step and actually contacted anybody at the positions I've found, but I've come across a few that sounded interesting.

If you think of a country you'd like to try, search for expatriate websites about it. I've read quite a few about countries like South Africa, Australia, and the UK, and the people that write them provide insight on things that you wouldn't even think about until you moved. Make sure it sounds like a place you want to live, before you start searching for a job.

If you are still looking and want to stay "close" to DC, GrafTech International is looking to expand operations and accepting resumes for numerous positions at our Clarksburg, West Virginia plant and our plant in Columbia, Tennessee. Please visit http://www.graftech.com/CAREER-CENTER/Openings.aspx for more details. Please let me know if I can be of any help if you are interested.

Good Luck!

Brian

Back