When using DME/LME, what is the equivalent mash temperature for the sugar profile?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juno_Malone

Reaction score
Not sure I worded this well in the title...so when you mash at higher temperatures (153-155), you get less fermentable sugars and you end up with a sweeter beer with more body. When you mash at low temperatures (148-150), you get more fermentable sugars and you end up with a drier beer. When using DME/LME, you don't have that sort of control. So my question is, when you use DME/LME, what is the resultant sugar profile like? Is it more like if you had mashed in the 148-150 range, or the 153-155 range?

Thanks!

I find that DME ferments out better, with mini mash and DME I was able to get 1.012-1.014, LME always seemed to be around 1.018-1.020.

So I'd estimate DME to act closer to a 150* mash and LME to act closer to a 154-156* mash

I've always found both to be middle of the road. To give the most flexibility, maltsters generally mash in the middle of the range. I find my FG to be more a function of yeast and temp than anything else.

Of course, different brands will perform differently. So I don't think it's a DME vs LME issue, I believe it to be more of a Muntons vs Briess sort of thing.

We're you just curious, or are you having attenuation problems with extract? You could always put a little bit of plain sugar in there to dry things about a bit if you need higher attenuation.

I've always found both to be middle of the road. To give the most flexibility, maltsters generally mash in the middle of the range. I find my FG to be more a function of yeast and temp than anything else.

Of course, different brands will perform differently. So I don't think it's a DME vs LME issue, I believe it to be more of a Muntons vs Briess sort of thing.

We're you just curious, or are you having attenuation problems with extract? You could always put a little bit of plain sugar in there to dry things about a bit if you need higher attenuation.

Nope not having issues, it's just something I was curious about. Thanks for the info!

For some brands, you might be able to find out the mash temp for sure. I use MoreBeer LME, for example, and they let you know in the product description that it's mashed at 152°F. For whatever brand you use, I'd call your homebrew shop or the manufacturer and see if they'll tell you. I get curious about these sorts of things too.

The maltster likely mashed the malt for their DME around 153-154 F. These conditions yield a wort with a nice maltiness and good fermentability.

For partial mash beers, you do have some control, which is why I would advise mashing the grains for something like a dry IPA at about 147 F to offset the DME.

Back