When to use blow-off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbrewguy

Reaction score
Hi all, are there any rules of thumb for when I should use a blow-off tube? I've brewed several batches of ales in both buckets and 5 gal carboys, but after reading out here I realize I've been lucky to not blow out an airlock yet. So, I'm wondering if there are particular styles, yeasts, temps, etc. that I should expect to generate heavy activity right away and require a blow-off. Thanks. (I know some of you always use one, but I'd like to know when I for sure should use one.)

Agreed, always use one, then you'll never have to be sorry.... or sleep on the couch in my case!

I agree always use a blowoff tube...I always start with one then 3-5 days later take it off add some vodka to the airlock and cap it off.

In my experience WY 1968 and WY 1010 have always been very vigorous fermentations that need blow off tubes...1010 starts like a rocket after about 6 hours and I always have to change the starsan 2 liter bottle.

Hope this helps!

:mug:

WY3522 is another vigorous strain. I recently pitched it and got caught with my pants down without a blowoff tube. I will always use one from now on!

Latest posts

Back