When to toast grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metanoia

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm planning a SMaSH ESB in the future with Maris Otter and Goldings, and based on a recipe I saw I want to toast a couple pounds of the MO to provide some color.

Is there a general consensus on when to toast grains (in this case, 375 for about 14 minutes)- before the grains are crushed, after they're crushed, or does it make no difference?

Thanks. :mug:

You want to toast whole grains.. I've read that it is recommended to leave them at least 14 days before use, as I can remember it is because of astringency reduction.

Marris Otter already has a bit more color than American 2-row. 1.8L for the Rahr 2-row vs 3.5-4.5L for the Marris Otter (crisp).

You want to toast whole grains.. I've read that it is recommended to leave them at least 14 days before use, as I can remember it is because of astringency reduction.

Thanks. I have been reading about the 14+ day rest. Hope to toast them right around the same time as I brew a more "normal" ESB this week, then throw the SMaSH ESB right on top of the first ESB yeast cake.

Back