...when to start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawggy_Stile

Reaction score
Ok... just bought my kit yesterday. The 6.5 gal fermenter, bottling bucket Ale Pails, and everything that comes with it. Along with a Brewers Best Red Ale kit.
When will be a good time to start this?.. We have a vacation to Vegas planned on 2-12 to 2-17. The pail is going into a laundry tub where the temp in the room is maintained between 67 - 60 degrees.
Should I just wait till we get back and work on emptying more bottles to add to my empties, or start this early. I just didn't want any unpleasant surprises when we return..lol
Also, I was planning on adding a pound of honey in the final 10 mins of the boil to increase alcohol content. About how much will that increase it?..the kit (without honey) says the ABV will be 5.0 - 5.5%

You will find that many of us leave our beer in primary for a month rather than use a secondary, and find out beer vastly improved. So if you brewed now it will be fine.

As to the honey part of things.....This is your first batch, right?

This is my standard answer to this often asked question.

Why do you feel, without even tasting the finished beer, that you need to "jazz" up the beer. Do you know more about recipe creation and balancing a beer, than the folks that created the recipe and risked untold amounts of money on putting that kit together? :D

It's not going to need any tweaking from an amatuer brewing his first batch, who understands very little about the brewing process, how ingrediants go about balancing a recipe, or what ingredients does which.

I firmly believe initially that you shoudl brew your first few kits, and recipes "as is" not messing willy nilly with them til you understand the process...

Beer recipes are a balance...and if you add to one variable, that will affect other parts of it...For example if you decide to raise the gravity of a balanced beer...a beer where the hops balance out the sweetness...and you raise the maltniness of it without alaso balancing the hops, then your beer may end up being way too cloyingly sweet.

So for the first few batches just concentrate on the process, and also learn as much as possible. Each time you brew, you will learn something new.

I f you want a hoppier beer, brew a hoppier kit/recipe. You want fruit, buy a fruit beer kit/brew a fruit beer recipe.....Want a honey beer, get a honey kit nextime, especially one that uses gambrious honey malt in the grainbill and not honey.

But thinking about tweaking a recipe from an established kit designer is sort of like wanting to go from paint by numbers to wanting to help restore the Mona Lisa, and wanting to make an "improvement" here or there.

You have a long history of brewing ahead of you, you don;t have to cram everything into your first batch....learn about what;s going on before you just decide you need to "fix" something.

ANd by the way....every year we get folks like you on here....your not the first who thinks that adding tis or that will make the beer better.:D.....but truly, just take it one beer at a time. If you want a cetain thing in a beer BUY OR BREW a recipe that HAS THAT. Don't take one recipe and suddenly decide you need to fix it. There are thousands of kits and recipes out there in the beginning before you learn to start creating your OWN RECIPES, you will have NO TROUBLE finding an established kit or recipe to fit whatever you are tasting.

Just realize this isn't your first batch of beer. You can brew whatever you want whenever you want for the rest of your life. SO you can actually learn about what you are doing before you decide to do whatever you want.

You;'re not the first (hell not the first today we;ve seen) nor will you be the last. And a year from now, you'll be saying the same thing to 15 noobs who post the exact same question.

My goal is for you to make great beer, and enjoy the hobby. So relax and take it one step at a time.

:mug:

hmmmm well if you start it now you can catch any blow off that occurs. typically this happens within the first few days of fermentation when its most active if at all. leaving the beer on the yeast till after the 17th is no problem what so ever and may actually be a good thing.

The hardest part is waiting so I agree with the others and say do it now! Worrying about a trip and being away a few days will make the waiting a lot easier. Good luck!

Back