When to start refrigerating your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khasta

Reaction score
Hey guyz, im new to kegging and im not quite sure about this: when do you start putting your filled/carbed keg in the fridge? Cause after 2 weeks fermenting, its done fermenting but the yeast still works on clearing out some stuff in your beer right? So for a standard pale ale your beer is ready to glass after a month lets say, first 2 weeks in the fermenter, and then last 2 weeks in the keg, do i let the keg at room temp or i put it in my fridge? The cold with put the yeast asleep right? So it wont finish clearing out?

Thanks for your help

HI Kasta! After you ferment and then you transfer the beer to keg. At this point put in the kegerator or fridge and let it cool for 12 hrs and then put the CO2 to the keg. The cold beer asorbs the CO2 better. The beer might take a week to carb up depending on what pressure you set the CO2 at. The cold will cause the yeast to drop out and clear after a few days, but this depends on the recipe some also. I would suggest you use the search feature to get some of the answers. :mug:

the main reason for putting your beer in the fridge after primary fermentation is to drop the yeast out and clear it, what i have done was to transfer the beer to a carboy and cold crash and apply gelatin fining to the carboy to drop out as much yeast as possible before racking to a keg just to avoid sediment accumulation on the bottom of the keg and inevitably in the bottom of the first pint or two also leaving the beer with yeast in for longer periods of time will let the yeast clear up some common off flavors such as diacetyl which will give you a buttery flavor to the beer

The yeast don't "clear stuff up" after there done fermenting there work is done.After there done fermenting the object is to get them out of the beer. They don't taste good if there still floating around in the finished product.

Do this and youll be fine:

Primary for 2 weeks should be plenty of time
Cold crash primary for 2 or 3 days to drop most of the yeast/hops out so they don't make it into the keg
Then transfer to keg straight from cold crash
The beer will be cold (obviously) so immediately set pressure to 30 psi for 48 hours or 40 psi for 24 hours, whichever works fine
drop pressure to serving pressure after that time frame...drink.
After a day or two the carbination will balance out better after dropping psi

DONT FORGET TO PURGE KEG AFTER TRANSFERING FROM PRIMARY TO GET OXYGEN OUT OF KEG..otherwise your beer could oxidize and taste stale

Latest posts

Back