When to put in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainecanoe

Reaction score
In my primary is a European Bock Lager from the Brewer's Best kit. It's been there since brew day on Wed, April 11. The airlock is still bubbling like crazy and it's been 10 days. The primary has been in a constant temp of 58-59 F.

Should I get this out of the primary and into my secondary glass carboy?
Or should I let it continue to ferment in the primary longer?

Any help would be great!

Leave it alone. There is no reason to secondary unless you are dry hopping, adding fruit etc. 3 weeks in primary then check FG, check it again in a couple days, if it's the same it's ready to bottle.

its best to let it finish, but anytime after the krausen sinks, the yeast drops out and its calmed down you can transfer it.

+1 on no secondary. I'm sure you can read all kinds of info on here as to why secondary is a bit of an outdated method, unless you are dry hopping or making a fruit beer. Yeast strains are a lot healthier than they used to be 15-20 years ago. I wouldn't worry about autolysis and yeast causing off flavors in your beer for 8, and some would say more months.

If you want to secondary wait till air lock slows then take a fg reading then 3 days later take another. If they are the same you are ready to transfer. You can keep it in primary for a few months or so with out any problems or you can secondary. Try both and see what works for you! Cheers:D

Thanks. How long before the yeast cake starts to affect the beer?

Months. No problem leaving it in primary until it reaches FG and then leaving it a while longer.

Given that this is a Bock though, you will probably want to rack it to secondary and then lager it for several weeks before bottling.

Back